Int – Senior Data Scientist (JHB)
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Johannesburg – Gauteng
A provider of cutting-edge, tailored software solutions urgently seeks a strong analytical & critical thinking Int – Senior Data Scientist to join its Joburg team where your core role will be solving business problems by making data and model-driven decisions and monitoring the outcomes. You must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture/Statistics/Computer Science or other relevant field, an Honours or Master’s will prove beneficial, work experience in a similar role, understand Machine Learning, clustering and classification techniques and algorithms, be proficient in Python, SQL, R, SAS, Power BI, Tableau, Python Dash, Angular, Big Data Frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop and have a basic understanding of Data Mining and Statistical Analysis, ETL processes, Data Processing, and Data Analytics, Programming, Predictive Modelling and Unstructured Data Analysis.
- Assist in the collection, cleansing and wrangling of data.
- Assist in extracting meaning from and interpreting large amounts of available structured and unstructured data to produce insights to be used for informative decision making.
- Communicate results and ideas to key decision-makers, under supervision.
- Assist in research and development of statistical learning models for data analysis.
- Collaborate with other departments to understand company needs and devise possible solutions.
- Keep up to date with latest technology trends.
- Assist in the implementation of new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis.
- Solve complex problems.
- Provide assistance in building predictive and pattern detection engines.
- Provide assistance in building dashboards and data analytics stories.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (e.g., Agriculture, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Informatics, Mathematics).
- Honours/Master’s Degree advantageous.
- Previous work experience in a similar role is advantageous.
- Understanding of supervised and unsupervised learning (e.g., Machine-Learning, clustering and classification techniques, and algorithms).
- Fluency in a relevant computer language (Python, SQL, R, SAS).
- Familiarity with Big Data frameworks (e.g., Spark, Hadoop).
- Familiarity with visualization tools (e.g., Power BI, Tableau, Python Dash, Angular).
- Basic knowledge and understanding of –
- Big Data platforms
- Logical and physical Data Modelling
- Data Mining and Statistical Analysis
- ETL processes, Data Processing, and Data Analytics
- Predictive Modelling
- Unstructured Data Analysis
- Strong analytical and creative skills – the ability to gather, view, interpret and analyse information.
- Strong numeracy skills – knowledge of figures and numbers, understand the relationships existing between numbers and interpret mathematical information.
- Basic business acumen.
- Keen curiosity about data-driven decision-making.
- Acts with integrity.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Able to think critically.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Enjoy challenging work with intellectual curiosity.
- Driven to continuously improve and enhance the world around you.
- Proven ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a multi-disciplinary project team.