Technical Lead – Retail BI
IT – Software Development ~ Product/Project management
Cape Town – Western Cape
A fast-paced Investment Firm seeks your expertise as a Technical Lead to play an integral role leading its Retail IT Business Intelligence Development team while ensuring the company’s technical vision is translated and preserved. Your role will also entail maintaining, enhancing & adding feature to software while performing management duties such as career guidance and performance appraisals. You will also ensure that elegant robust code is written ensuring clear & simple design solutions and provide guidance in troubleshooting and root cause analysis. You will also be responsible for several systems including the historical data warehouse, ODS, Screening, KaneRDB, underlying self-service architecture, QlikView, SSRS, and SSAS. You will require a Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Information Science or similar discipline, 5 years’ BI Development experience including leading & mentoring Software Devs, skilled with T-SQL, PostgreSQL, C# & Scala and experience in system integration, distributed computing and building enterprise-wide systems.
- Lead a team of Developers.
- Liaise with senior IT members in Cape Town and build software and processes accordingly.
- Perform managerial tasks such as: career guidance, performance appraisals etc.
- Design clean and simple solutions.
- Ensure that elegant robust code is written.
- Improve and optimize the performance of existing systems.
- Provide guidance in troubleshooting root-cause errors.
- Ensure that Unit, Integration and Acceptance tests for all components are written.
- Ensure that appropriate Regression tests are written.
- Ensure that build automation scripts are written.
- Ensure that appropriate monitoring and alerting is in place for the various systems.
- Periodic capacity monitoring planning for the relevant tech.
- Assist with tech analysis where required.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Science or related discipline.
- At least 5 years’ worth of professional BI Development experience.
- Experience leading and mentoring other Software Developers.
- Line Management including career development.
- Able to perform night support.
- Strong Software Design skills.
- Strong understanding of Software Development process.
- Proficiency in programming languages – T-SQL, PostgreSQL, C#, Scala.
- Proficiency in BI and other programming tech SSMS, SSRS, QlikView, SSIS, SSAS, GitLab.
- Experience in system integration, distributed computing and building enterprise-wide systems.
- Knowledge of professional Software Engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes and testing.
- Exposure to developing for AWS platform.
- Development of monitoring and alerting in Grafana / Redgate / Dynatrace / Kibana.
- Needs to be a critical thinker with good troubleshooting capabilities, including knowing when to log for future investigations.
- Have good clear communication skills.