Systems Database Programmer (Linux; Informix; Delphi; SQL) (PTA)
IT – Software Development
Pretoria/Centurion – Gauteng
A global Software Specialist in Pretoria seeks the coding talents of a Systems Database Programmer whose core role will be to develop applications, scripts and procedures and to administer database and server systems. You will also create and modify Informix 4GL and SPL stored procedures, shell & SQL scripts, maintain Linux servers while writing and updating administration guidelines and Installation Manuals and assisting and mentoring Juniors. You must preferably possess a Database and System Admin tertiary qualification and have 4+ years’ experience with Informix and MySQL database administration, experience with relational database design, SQL, stored procedure language and Informix 4GL Development and have proficiency with Linux/UNIX.
- Create and modify Informix 4GL and SPL stored procedures.
- Create and modify shell scripts and SQL scripts.
- Create and modify database structures, including tables, triggers, indexes, references, constraints etc.
- Maintain development of Informix databases and Linux servers.
- Assist the other departments with any database-, Linux- or 4GL related requests.
- Maintenance and improvement of existing software supporting databases.
- Write and update administration guidelines and Installation Manuals for both existing and new software, databases and scripts, in-house and 3rd party.
- Client liaison where needed to either supply required information, or to gather information regarding functionality, operation or anomalies of installed software.
- Setup of software environment as well as installation and configuration of said software to requirements set.
- Assist junior staff with troubleshooting and mentoring.
- Contribute to all company initiatives related to this job function.
- Tertiary qualification in Database and System Administration preferred.
- 4+ Years of experience in Informix and MySQL database administration.
- Experience required in relational database design, SQL, Stored procedure language and Informix 4GL Development.
- Experience required in Linux / UNIX system administration and programming.
- Willingness to travel to- and work on sites.
- Willingness to work standby as the nature of the environment dictates.
- MSSQL experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate effectively in English (both verbal and written).
- Excellent organisational skills including time and priority management.
- Team player.
- Ability to work under pressure.