Solution Architect (API)
IT – Infrastructure
Cape Town – Western Cape
DESIGN API products using a multi-layered service centric approach to orchestrate multiple APIs and combine data to form new Digital Products as the next Solution Architect sought by a Retail Giant to join its team. You will be expected to apply an API-First principle and a product mindset to strategically architect the enterprise’s API landscape where APIs are viewed as full-fledged discrete digital products, rather than integrations between systems. You will require a Degree in Information Systems/Computer Science (or similar) with over 7 years work experience within the IT industry & deep subject matter knowledge of omni channel architectures, experience with APIs, process APIs, system APIs, microservices, headless architectures, and cloud architectures are essential.
Create data, application and technology architectures and designs for enterprise APIs inclusive of non-functional requirements in line with architecture standards –
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the business strategy and business priorities for service enabling API’s and platforms.
- Develop service enabling API products and platforms landscape roadmap and blueprints in line with the strategic business direction.
- Analyse and understand business requirements and translate the requirements into the most effective solution architecture with minimal customization and/or advise on suitable solution alternatives that support.
- Engage all stakeholders to obtain agreement on proposed solutions and work closely with business stakeholders, Business Analysts, System Designers, Analyst Developers and Project Managers to architect and implement enterprise services such as Customer, Product and Marketing to name a few.
- Create business, data, application and technology architectures and designs using the appropriate modeling techniques and methodologies for the various business domains in the enterprise architecture repository in line with architecture principles.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and emerging technologies, identify and analyse architecture best practices, determine the potential impact on the enterprise, and drive adoption as deemed appropriate.
Serve as the primary solution architecture and design authority for enterprise APIs for all project and operational stakeholders and ensure architecture quality across all solutions that enable the enterprise across various business domains –
- Be clearly identified as the senior design authority as it relates to the enterprise experience layers and provide technical guidance and leadership in solution proposals, RFIs, RFPs, and Project teams.
- Partner with Enterprise Architects and other Solution Architects in support of the definition and development of the overall retail solution landscape.
- Detect critical deficiencies in the service enabling digital products and platforms architectures and recommend improvements.
- Work with external service providers to drive projects to successful implementation.
- Review external and internal designs for service enabling digital products and platforms systems from a risk and technology perspective.
- Ensure applicable Architecture and Design reviews are conducted for service enabling digital products and platforms solutions in line with the defined IT governance and processes.
- Provide architectural oversight and guidance to Development teams to ensure high-quality technical solution designs during the detailed design, build, test and deploy phases that conform to architecture principles and standards.
- Mentor Senior Developers / Designers / Business Analysts to become Solution Architects.
Contribute to solution architecture and design standards and SDLC governance requirements –
- Maintain and manage the service enabling digital products and platforms related architecture artifacts in the Enterprise Architecture repository and ensure that the content is effectively organised and controlled so as to maintain architectural consistency.
- Contribute to the definition of a framework for Solution Architecture and the policies, procedures and templates that guide and govern Solution Architecture processes.
- Contribute to the development of architecture principles and compliance criteria to guide technology decisions.
- Contribute to the development of solution modeling standards and guidelines.
- Define a set of metrics to measure and report on the performance of the various solution architecture processes.
- Degree in Information Systems / BSc Computer Science (or similar) – Essential.
7-10 Years –
- Working experience within the IT industry.
3-5+ Years –
- Experience with architecting and designing of API products including experience, process and system APIs.
- Experience in architecting and designing enterprise APIs.
- Experience with API Gateways.
- Experience with API Portals.
- Experience with all aspects of IT projects from business analysis, architectures, system analysis and design through development, testing, implementation, and production support (SDLC).
- Excellent design and architecture skills and proven track record delivering well designed complex enterprise class systems.
- Identification and formulation of solution architecture and solution alternatives and their assessment.
- Experience architecting and developing n-tier applications using multiple programming languages and paradigms.
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of application development methodologies and practices.
2-3 Years –
- Lead a team through an architectural development process and collaborate with Application Development teams, Architects and other members of the Software Development team.
- Experience with current research and standards in Solution Architecture.
- Architecture and design of customer centric services and technical knowledge of Cloud architectures (Cloud, APIs, micro services, omni-channel, security, etc.) and integration to other solutions
- Software development frameworks and methodologies (DevOps, Agile, Scrum, TOGAF, etc.).
- Experience in high volume messaging and integration environments.
- Retail industry experience with an understanding of retail business processes.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and logical skills.
- Excellent team-working, interpersonal skills.
- Able to develop proposals and excellent written communication & presentation skills.
- Excellent organisation and facilitation skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.