Software Development Manager
IT – Software Development ~ IT – Manager
Stellenbosh – Western Cape
PROVIDE strategic technical direction and manage multiple technical teams responsible for the technical delivery of the full product lifecycle; all product features and support and maintenance related tasks in respect of the product as the next Software Development Manager sought by a dynamic Financial Services provider. You will also oversee the ongoing drive to increase efficiency, optimisation, innovation and people development in these environments. The successful incumbent should possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science (Ideally an Honours Degree) with 5 years’ work experience in a similar role including have led and worked in an Agile Development environment, crafted roadmaps, managed a budget & used technical skills to support and guide a Technical team to establish priorities and successfully manage deliverables.
Provide software services to a product by delivering system developments, changes and enhancements –
Software Development scope:
- Develop a designated group of software systems that are used to service / sell to an internal customer / client i.e., a product or channel or platform.
- Responsible for all software systems that make up the product.
- Responsible for the critical banking systems and / or system components according to the particular product.
- Refer to critical banking systems and / or system components during the execution of tasks / projects according to the particular product.
- Derive functional solution options within current system landscape for all identified opportunities for product, process or system improvement.
- Accountable for quality assurance of Software Development work.
- Work closely with and contract with the Head: Technology Strategies to ensure the right and best technologies are adopted and effectively implemented and embedded for the product.
Responsible for negotiating with the Product Manager and agreeing with the Product Head, the tactical and specific delivery expectations; what needs to be delivered by when – Achieved by operational planning, management and execution in respect of:
- Manage the planning process to derive delivery timelines.
- Contract timelines with Product Head and, where appropriate for the product, Project Manager and the Product Owner role holder.
- Communicate the timelines to the team and 3rd parties.
- Monitor progress against agreed-upon timelines, including collaboration with the Project Manager.
- Liaise with relevant internal departments or stakeholders that might impact the ability to deliver quality software in a timeous manner to remove any issues and keep on track with delivery commitments.
- Address/Rectify non-progress (i.e., re-contracting with Product Head and Product Manager if new delivery timelines would be required).
- Provide continuous and timely feedback to the Product Head throughout the process.
Responsible for faultless, error free, contracted delivery to agreed expectations – Achieved by operational planning, management and execution in respect of:
- Effectively and comprehensively communicate a detailed understanding of the business’ expectation by the team, to the team, including 3rd parties, as defined in the specifications throughout the SDLC.
- Adherence by the team to prescribed quality (as defined by IT Standards & Governance) during all the phases of the SDLC (i.e., FD phase, TS phase, Code reviews and integration testing, etc.).
Responsible for system availability, security and performance according to pre-defined SLAs and standards with respect to the product – Achieved by operational planning, management and execution in respect of:
- Set in place tools, routines, processes and metrics for monitoring uptime and performance against contracted SLA.
- Implementation of agreed security standards within the software solution.
- Address / Rectify non-adherence to agreed-upon SLAs and standards.
- Design and operate a framework that will provide continuous and timely feedback to the business.
Risk and control / Compliance –
- Overall responsibility to ensure audit findings are addressed according to agreed management comments on Audit Report.
- Overall responsibility to ensure regulatory requirements are addressed according to agreed compliance standards.
- Manage and oversee the team so that internal systems / business analysis quality standards and the approved SDLC are adhered to.
Third Party Relationship Management –
- Have single responsibility for driving and delivering third party provision within the Software Development eco-system.
- Build, manage and maintain productive and beneficial key 3rd party relationships.
- Drive and deliver the end-to-end relationship life cycle; sourcing, negotiating, and contracting management.
- Coordinate the contract approval process between Executive Management, Contract and Commercial Management, Legal and the external supplier(s).
- Manage key suppliers to secure effective service delivery against contracted SLA with regards to quality, costs and time of delivery.
- Understand the supplier environment through regular engagement with suppliers.
- Analyse performance to measure consistency of supplier service delivery and improve supply processes and supplier efficiencies.
- Collaborate with Contract and Commercial Management to achieve cost-effective annual negotiations with suppliers.
- Communicate and manage changes in requirements from suppliers.
People Management –
- Motivate and negotiate with the Product Head for a team and structure appropriate for the particular product and the product life cycle stages as well as ensure the Software Development team comprises the varied, mixed technical skills and knowledge to deliver.
- Manage the changing people challenges such as fluidity of resources, remote working, different development needs.
- Hold direct line management responsibilities for Team Leaders as well as general leadership oversight and direction for indirect reports, creating a product focus and understanding of single threaded ownership operating model.
- Determine the resource requirement for Software Development based on the objectives and scope of the Software Development objectives and priorities for the product.
- Responsible for recruitment of budgeted vacancies within the Software Development team members; collaborate with Talent Acquisition for the recruitment of appropriately experienced and skilled people.
- Ensure Team Leaders execute People Management for their respective teams.
Collective work environment –
- Responsible for empowering Software Development team members to work across traditional organisational boundaries.
- Promote team collaboration and innovation, sharing of knowledge, tools, code and practices.
- Build and develop a flexible and change accepting culture within the Software Development environment.
- Create a collective of shared knowledge and expertise and common identity through teamwork and experience sharing.
Team performance and development –
- Lead, manage and drive accountability and ownership amongst team members for personal development, including goal plans.
- Responsible for Performance Management of team, including:
- Overall responsibility for the contracting of team’s personal development plans (functional and soft skills).
- Individual Performance Management (nurturing growth and managing poor performance).
- Responsible for the development of people, including the technical standards and practices, and contribute to performance and career management.
- Support and promote practical experience and reinforcement of technical skills and knowledge in the Software Development team members and provide opportunities for practical application.
- Provide mentoring and coaching of the team and ensure cascading of mentoring and coaching through the team.
- Responsible for Operational Management of team members (leave, performance management, working patterns etc.)
Budgeting, control and reporting –
- Collaborate with the Product Head and take a lead in the annual budgeting process, responsible for proposing, motivating and achieving approval of a budget which will underpin the meeting and fulfilment of the objectives and scope of the software services, people, hardware, software.
- Manage the Software Development budget, including OPEX and CAPEX budgets and reporting thereon:
- Forecast and operate within agreed budgets through management of financial controls.
- Approve all Software Development related expenditure according to delegation of authority.
- Work with the Finance Business Partner and monitor and report against the budget in line with Financial Reporting requirements.
- Review variance reports for Software Development.
- Provide detailed reporting on a monthly basis, (and ad hoc as required) providing feedback to the Product Head (and Head: product Line where required) on progress as part of monthly combined department progress / output report.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science (Ideally an Honours Degree).
- At least 5 years’ experience in Software Development Management.
- Leading and working in an Agile Development environment.
- Crafting roadmaps.
- Managing a budget.
- Using technical skills to support and guide a Technical team to establish priorities and successfully manage deliverables.
- Utilising Communication and Relationship Management skills to engage with stakeholders.
- Using leadership to influence in other areas.
Detailed knowledge and understanding of:
- Functional knowledge particular to the product (e.g., Credit or App).
- People Management and development practices and principles.
- Stakeholder Management.
- Budgeting and accounting principles.
- Business analysis and design.
- Project Management principles and methodologies.
Ideal to have –
- Banking industry.
- Central Collections environment.
- Bank Systems environment.
- Bank Business Model.
- Agile Development principles.
- Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Decision making skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Influencing skills.