Senior WordPress/PHP Developer
IT – Software Development
Cape Town – Western Cape
- Plan and implement website features in the form of WordPress plugins and/or themes.
- Use Core WordPress APIs to extend the WordPress admin experience.
- Investigate, evaluate, and code review new technologies, services, plugins for project use. Specifically for security, performance, code quality and maintainability.
- Thoughtfully gather requirements for complex problems and break them down into simple solutions.
- Collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders to execute scope.
- Setup and troubleshooting of –
- Staging and production environments.
- Local development environments.
- Automated code deploys (Bitbucket Pipelines).
- Maintain and extend internal staging server and cross-team build tools.
- Integrate and troubleshooting 3rd-party technologies into projects.
- Conduct site audits and provide recommendations based on performance best practices and Core Web Vitals.
- Able to strategically leverage multiple web technologies to solve complex problems.
- Adept at following scope documents to deliver on client expectations.
- Experience with Composer (Dependency Manager for PHP).
- Familiarity with –
- SASS/SCSS, or other CSS Pre-processor frameworks.
- Popular UI frameworks and patterns (Bootstrap, Foundation, Material UI).
- Creative design tools like Figma, Sketch, and/or Photoshop.
- AJAX, XML, and JSON.
- Experienced with RESTful API integrations.
- Experience with Bash or other shell scripting languages.
- Concurrent versioning systems like GitHub or Bitbucket (Bitbucket is our current preferred platform).
- Strong understanding of SQL and MySQL.
- Capable of managing delivery dates, code quality and readability.
- Experienced with Git: branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing peers’ code.
- Able to communicate professionally with technical and non-technical teammates and clients.
It would be great if you are:
- Comfortable in being Project Lead and communicating with clients should the need arise.
- Comfortable working on MacOS and supporting less technical team members.
- Comfortable working with GA (Universal and GA4) and GTM.
- Experience using Asana for task and project management.
- Experience with Beaver Builder page builder, including extending functionality.
- Experience in the Bedrock WordPress boilerplate.
- Experience with Webpack, npm, or similar tools.
- Experience with Docker, Vagrant, or other local container tools –
- Current preferred container platform is Vagrant using VVV local development environment.
- Experience with Twig front-end templating framework.
- Understanding of server configurations (LAMP, LEMP, etc.).
- Strong Communicator.