Senior TypeScript Engineer
IT – Software Development
Cape Town – Western Cape
A Technology, data, and services company based in the Cape Winelands is looking for a very Senior TypeScript Engineer. This is a senior position, so they expect you to hit the ground running, producing solid, high-quality code from day one. Ideally, you will have at least 5 – 10 years of work experience and strong full-stack development experience using TypeScript and Node.js.
- Revamp the world-first Commerce Engine and drive client growth.
- Collaborating with the UK branch to improve a series of mobile apps and other projects.
- Working on all aspects of the technology stack, including APIs, databases, deployments, services, third-party integrations, and customer-facing front ends.
- Expectation to deliver varied projects.
- Possible travel and on-site work with clients in South Africa, the UK, Italy, The Netherlands, and other destinations to test the system’s real-world performance.
- The technology stack is written in TypeScript. The front-end apps use Angular and React Native, backed by a GraphQL API. There is a growing number of microservices written in Node.js, running serverless in Google Cloud Platform. RDBMS stores are used by default and other services (e.g., Elasticsearch and Redis) where relevant. As much as possible, the infrastructure is defined using Terraform.
- Continuous integration and deployment are handled by Gitlab. Feature branch deployments are used to verify behaviour, and the system is promoted to production several times a day.
- Types and tests are used to produce working and maintainable code. Immutability and pure functions are used where practical. Continuous integration and continuous delivery are used to rapidly iterate, deploying new versions of services many times each day.
- Robust testing and monitoring allow for stress-free deployments and discovering, debugging, and fixing problems. GCP’s tools are used to monitor logs, create alerts, visualize metrics, and analyse request traces across microservices. Automated smoke tests run against production in addition to the tests in CI.
- Strong full-stack development experience using TypeScript and Node.js.
- Good Angular and/or React skillset.
- Experience designing, implementing, and running large web applications.
- Experience with SQL databases.
- Familiarity with microservices and a DevOps culture.
- Appreciation for automated testing, CI and CD.
- Bonus: Experience with iOS or Android and React Native.
- Commerce Platform Stack (currently):
- NestJS / Express (with Mikro-ORM, GraphQL)
- Angular (with Angular Material, NGXS, Apollo GraphQL)
- GCP (Cloud SQL – MySQL, Redis, CloudRun, Stackdriver, etc.)
- GitLab (source code, CI/CD)
- Jira / Confluence (documentation, sprint planning)
- CloudFlare (DNS, CDN)
- Cloudinary (Image and video CDN and transformation)
- Terraform (infrastructure as code)
- Good communicators and can empathize with others.
- Ability to translate requirements into actionable backlog items.
- A learning mindset is essential as you will encounter new problems with no clear solution.
- Ability to find out the crux of an issue and own it until resolution is reached is crucial.