Senior Support Engineer (Server)
IT – Support
Cape Town – Western Cape
A dynamic Internet Service & Network Specialist urgently seeks a strong technical Senior Support Engineer to provide 2nd Line Support primarily within the server management and support layer but will support complexities within the end user computing layer as well. Scope will extend to initial diagnosis in other components of infrastructure prior to reassignment to 3rd Line Support / other resolver groups. You will need Matric/Grade 12, a MCSE qualification or equivalent and a tertiary IT qualification with 5 + years’ experience supporting Datacentre software, a solid understanding of the Server environment with the ability to identify and understand problems and find suitable solutions.
- Assist with escalations from 1st Line Support Engineers.
- Provide 2nd Line Datacentre support at the server infrastructure level, maintaining delivery within agreed service levels.
- Where required, escalate to 3rd Line timeously to maintain SLA commitments, ensuring to retain ownership of the ticket, sharing detail of all actions taken to resolve and working in collaboration with 3rd Line to further remediate and resolve the incident.
- Preventative Maintenance (Patch Management).
- Remediate issues identified by audit and monthly reporting.
- Ensure adherence to all customer and internal policies, procedures and standards.
- Perform research and continued effort towards education for the purpose of improving knowledge and experience-levels in the products/systems supported by the company.
- Operate within process controls and applies due diligence in following standard operating procedures.
- Proactive analysis of the customer environment to identify risks, opportunity for improvement and value which can be derived.
- Ensure that all tickets assigned are updated regularly (at least daily, and immediately on resolution) on the ITSM System in use.
- Ensure that complete and accurate resolution descriptions are captured for each ticket.
- Ensure that all applicable site documentation and standard operating procedures are maintained and up to date.
- Professionally respond to and resolve / fulfil all incidents and service requests assigned.
- Remain courteous, tactful, honest and professional in all communication and interactions with customers and other parties.
- Regularly update the Service Desk and all customers with progress-information and estimated times to completion.
- Regularly follow-up on outstanding queries with other entities who are involved with specific requests.
- Adhere to and comply with all commitments made.
- Remain calm and collected in adverse situations.
- Be alerted to deteriorating customer-service within the environment and intervene directly or by escalation.
- Must have Matric / Grade 12.
- Required qualification MCSE or equivalent.
- Tertiary IT qualification.
- At least 5 + years’ experience supporting Datacentre software.
- Good understanding of the Server environment.
- Ability to identify and understand problems and find suitable solutions.
- Conscious of delivering solutions on time.
- Able to clearly articulate problems and solutions with the technical team.
- Must be willing to work overtime and standby.