Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (JHB)
IT – Software Development
Johannesburg – Gauteng
- Create new features on the lecturer dashboard.
- Optimise API calls for the starters and main app API.
- Create new API endpoints for the Flutter Developers for some of the mobile app features and pulling through that info to the main dashboard.
- Communicate daily with the Call Centre on technical issues, results that can’t be found and some of the other dashboard related technical issues that certain Lecturers could be experiencing.
- Make sure the processors and other external APIs are all running, and all results are processed daily.
- Writing specs/unit tests for code. The applications currently are not tested due to time requirements so the role would also be to increase testing coverage.
- In depth knowledge of Ruby/ Ruby on Rails (Senior Developer).
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL databases and optimising & indexing queries on those databases.
- In depth knowledge of deploying to Heroku and using the tools on Heroku to optimise the applications
- In depth knowledge of connecting through Ruby to different AWS environments. This is for file storage and then also for some of the AI functions like the facial recognition.
- Have an understanding of optimising the security on applications. A key improvement is the security of the app and making sure with each new feature we are not vulnerable to any kind of attack.
Frontend Skills –
The Frontend skills needed are for the lecturer dashboard. The initial styling for this dashboard was purchased through a theme and so extending frontend sections can also be sped up using those components from the HTML theme. The main setup for the frontend is:
- All views are written in slim syntax.
- A lot of the JS functions are using jQuery so a knowledge of jQuery would be essential.