Senior Network Engineer
IT – Support
Cape Town – Western Cape
MONITOR, maintain and grow both a local and national core network as well as access/client networks as your technical expertise as a Senior Network Engineer sought by an Internet Service & Network Specialist to join its team. Your role will also entail the design, spec and implementation of sound network solutions, providing 3rd Line support & handling escalated calls and ensuring proactive maintenance of access & core networks. The successful candidate must have a suitable tertiary qualification, 3+ year’s ISP industry experience at a senior level & strong TCP/IP and network stack proficiency. You must have 5+ years’ working knowledge of the following: Linux, IPv4 & IPv6, MTU, BGP, OSFP, VLANs, MPLS, Meraki, Viptella, Cisco, Juniper, Mikrotik & FortiGate.
- Design, spec and implement sound network solutions.
- Monitoring, maintenance and configuration of core network infrastructure.
- Identify and plan for upgrades/capacity/hardware.
- 3rd Line support, handling escalated calls.
- Proactive maintenance of access and core networks.
- Product R&D.
- Liaise with various 3rd parties to ensure call resolution.
- Adherence to call lifecycle processes and procedures.
- Liaise with the Project Management team.
- Will be part of an after-hours standby rotation cycle.
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
- Have at least 3+ years’ experience in the ISP industry at a senior level.
- Have a thorough understanding of TCP/IP and the network stack.
- Be able to communicate and understand client requirements.
Must have advanced, working knowledge and experience 5+ years of below –
- IPv4 & IPv6 understanding
- MTU understanding
- Routing protocols: BGP, OSFP
- In depth knowledge of Technologies: Q-in-Q, dot1Q tunnelling, VLANs, MPLS
- SDWAN: Meraki, Viptella
- Understanding packet capture outputs
- Certifications in the above OME devices
- Be analytical, structured and precise in their work with emphasis on attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask while prioritising workload and issues.