Senior Functional Safety Engineer – Electrical Vehicles
Cape Town – Western Cape
Our client is a leading company dedicated to product engineering and development, with a specific focus on providing comprehensive solutions for the development of commercial vehicles. Currently, they are seeking a Functional Safety Engineer to join their senior team, someone who can provide guidance and direction to design engineers in technical matters. The ideal candidate should possess outstanding organizational and leadership skills while also being a natural fit for their dynamic company culture that thrives on adaptability. The role of a Functional Safety Engineer is of utmost importance in the context of electric vehicles (EVs). It plays a critical role in ensuring the safety and reliability of EV systems and components. As the automotive industry is transitioning towards electric mobility, functional safety has become a top priority to ensure the secure operation of EVs and establish consumer trust. To be eligible for this position, candidates should hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in electrical engineering and possess 7-10+ years of relevant experience.
- Functional Safety Assessment: Conduct safety assessments and analysis of electrical vehicle systems, including propulsion systems, battery management systems, power electronics, and other safety-critical components. Identify potential hazards and safety risks associated with the EV’s operation.
- Compliance and Standards: Ensure that the development process and the final EV product meet relevant functional safety standards, such as ISO 26262, specific to the automotive industry and EVs.
- Safety Requirements: Develop and manage safety requirements for EV systems, considering high-voltage safety, thermal management, and electromagnetic compatibility.
- Risk Analysis: Perform safety analysis techniques such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), and Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (HARA) to identify potential safety issues and define safety goals specific to EVs.
- Safety Verification and Validation: Plan, manage, and execute safety verification and validation activities for EV systems and components. This includes testing and simulation to ensure compliance with safety requirements.
- Battery Safety: Focus on the safety aspects of EV batteries, including monitoring systems, thermal management, overcurrent protection, and fire prevention measures.
- Documentation: Prepare and maintain comprehensive documentation related to functional safety activities, including safety cases, safety plans, safety analysis reports, and compliance evidence for the EV.
- Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including hardware and software engineers, battery specialists, system architects, and quality assurance teams, to ensure a cohesive approach to safety throughout the EV development process.
- Compliance Updates: Stay up to date with the evolving safety regulations, guidelines, and industry best practices specific to electrical vehicles, and ensure compliance with the latest standards.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in electrical engineering
- 7-10+ Years’ of applicable experience
- In-depth knowledge of functional safety standards, especially ISO 26262, and their application in the context of electric vehicles.
- Experience in safety analysis techniques like FMEA, FTA, and HARA, with a focus on EV components and systems.
- Familiarity with electric vehicle architecture, propulsion systems, and battery technology.
- Proficiency in safety-related tools, such as fault injectors, safety analysis tools, and requirements management tools specific to EV development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with a diverse team of professionals.
- Be willing to travel overseas for variable periods depending on the needs at that time.
- Excellent in task management
- Ability to work under pressure and handle priority changes.
- Passionate about automotive engineering
- Computer literacy (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Planning & Leadership Skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with keen attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication (English)