R&D Manager/CTO (Umhlanga)
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Durban – KwaZulu Natal
LEAD the technology strategy and innovation through development of products as the next R&D Manager/CTO to join the Umhlanga team of a UK-based provider of cutting-edge Safety & Security Solutions. You will further support and mentor a team of Engineers, Technicians, Draftsmen, Software Devs, and Project Managers, ensuring organisational needs are achieved whilst simultaneously managing both internal and external customer relationships and expectations. You must have a Degree/Diploma in Electronic Engineering/Computer Engineering with 10 years’ experience within an R&D environment & a proven track record of previous results and improvements.
- Work with external stakeholders to the company and to the Engineering team.
- Maintain a long-term view on the use of technology for innovation.
- Work with stakeholders across the business, advocating for, and distilling technical requirements.
- Structure the team to meet business goals inc. the hiring of R&D personnel as required.
- Establish project goals and priorities by collaborating with Marketing and Operations.
- Lead and drive projects to support business goals through the leadership and focussing of the R&D team, individual Project Development teams as well as individuals.
- Mentor, guide and motivation the team to create sustainable depth within the department.
- Define new technologies, products and process.
- Identify and manage key suppliers / technology partners.
- Develop concepts, products and solutions by working with company business units.
- Development (where ineffective) and monitoring of team metrics and objectives to ensure goals are met.
- Suggest training tools to enhance employee performance and skill development.
- Document all phases of New Project Introduction using the correct development procedures.
- Investigate new technologies.
- Understand both internal & external customer expectations along with R&D team capabilities.
- Manage internal & external customer relationships and expectations.
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering, OR BSc Electronic Engineering OR BSc Computer Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience within an R&D environment.
- Proven track record of previous results and improvements.
- Has high attention to detail, strong mathematical and financial skills.
- Technical and Mechanical Skills and aptitude’s.
- Exceptional team management skills.
- Ability to delegate efficiently.
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future.
- Target and result driven.
- Independent & self-disciplined.
- Motivating and leading cross-functional teams.
- Creative problem-solving.
- Effective negotiation and vendor management skills.
- Experience in Automotive and Informatics technologies.
- Secure Cloud computing experience.
- Hands-on experience with complex Project Management.
- Critical Thinker.
- Observant & inquisitive.
- Humble and approachable.
- Structured but flexible, ability to create order out of chaos and multitask.
- Have a shared vision to create innovative, sustainable products and to bring ideas to life.
- Be able to think, plan and operate creatively out of the ordinary box.
- Passionate about innovation and research into new products & technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.