Mechanical Design Engineer – Chassis (SA/USA)
Cape Town – Western Cape ~ United States
PROVIDE direction and support in Product Development from project initiation to production for the Chassis & Chassis systems as the next Mechanical Design Engineer sought by a provider of cutting-edge Engineering Solutions in Durbanville. You will also be involved in product sustainment and improvement throughout the product lifecycle, troubleshooting and resolution of Engineering-related assembly while providing process expertise to support regular production and implementation of new systems. You will require a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with 3-5 years’ suitable work experience including solid working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics and PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred. Candidates will work in Cape Town for 12-16 months and then move overseas to the States for the rest of their employment period.
Job Summary –
- Product development direction and support from project initiation to regular production for the Chassis and Chassis systems.
- Product sustainment and improvement throughout the product life cycle in support of the brand, product strategy and objectives and customer experience.
- Ongoing hands-on production line support, including troubleshooting and resolution of engineering-related assembly and other issues in support of on-time delivery to customers.
- Liaison between customers, suppliers, production, process engineering-, and Development teams by applying product and process expertise to support regular production and implementation of new systems.
- Responsible for all engineering liaison, validation, and testing activities.
Further Duties –
- Provide design direction, including technical specifications and requirements, to on- and offshore Engineering resources for the Chassis and Chassis systems (subject systems) for heavy/severe duty trucks following best Engineering practices.
- Contribute to product improvements, new features or options development and product portfolio growth initiatives for subject systems throughout the product lifecycle.
- Support product planning initiatives.
- Keep abreast of and advise the Engineering team on industry trends and new technologies related to the Chassis and Chassis systems.
- Manage 3rd party providers such as suppliers and development teams/consultants as it relates to the subject systems’ design, development, and ongoing product support and improvements.
- Lead and/or support project status reviews, design reviews, design analysis activities such as DFMEA’s, product integrity initiatives and production readiness reviews.
- Create, maintain, and file design intent and history documentation including testing and validation.
- Engage and align with engineering peers across vehicle systems and other platforms in the interest of interface control and commonality.
- Identify opportunities and support continuous improvement to promote engineering quality during the product development and release management process.
- Provide day-to-day support of cross-functional teams such as Sales, Service, Warranty, Parts, Purchasing, Materials, Productivity Engineering and Program Management to align goals and expectations.
- Perform and or support online and offline validation and testing of new designs and provide feedback to the Design team.
- Provide hands-on Engineering support to resolve day-to-day assembly line issues.
- Ensure deviations and substitutions are implemented as required.
- Support the Product Integrity Team with issue resolution.
- Interact with customers as required, including product support at customer locations.
- Provide Engineering support relating to compliance and regulatory matters, including participating in industry standards forums/events if required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3-5 Years of Engineering experience.
- A thorough working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics.
- PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred.
- Computer literacy with Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Willing to relocate to the USA.
- Willing to travel overseas for variable periods.
- South African Citizenship.
- Strong analytical and technical skills to understand business practices.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent in task management.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good Written and Verbal Communication (English).