Oracle DBA (Remote)
IT – Support
A forward-thinking Software Specialist seeks a highly meticulous and technically strong Oracle DBA to fill a remote position where your core role will be the day-to-day administration of various Oracle database instances, applications and data loads / batch runs using a variety of functionalities and a range of associated products. You will also be responsible for ensuring the availability and performance of the databases by proactively monitoring and troubleshooting database issues and providing a sustainable solution to the problems within agreed SLA timelines. The ideal candidate must possess a Degree/Diploma in IT or Engineering or any relevant Database Administration Certification, have at least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role including proficiency with SQL, Oracle 11g/12c, UNIX/Linux scripting & ITIL. You will also require exposure to Oracle Http Server, NGINX, Apache and HTTPD including installations and DevOps methodology and tools Jenkins, Git, Nexus, SonarQube, Docker & Podman.
Database preparation and set-up –
- Maintain databases on test, development, and production environments where applicable.
- Perform data imports and exports.
- Assist with database/data model design.
- Implement the data model required by the application.
- Create schema objects and implementing rules for data integrity.
- Refresh the database objects on test environments to align with the production system.
- Ensure that backups of environment specific data are maintained.
Database administration and analysis –
- Manage incidents, requests and deployments issues within agreed SLA timelines.
- Interface with various specialist groups – Operating system support, Network support, Data Centre Network Security.
- Support and core database administrators to support the platform.
- Maintain stable databases.
- Manage database objects such as tables, indexes, and views.
- Perform routine housekeeping to maintain tablespace sizes by cleaning out historic data that is no longer required.
- Troubleshoot and debug database failures – resolve issues within agreed SLA timelines.
- Monitor databases and raise awareness of any potential issues.
- Monitor and tune database performance.
- Perform database sanity checks and troubleshooting.
- Automate/script routine tasks where possible.
- Assist with capacity planning.
Database and data-related applications –
- Support and maintain applications across multiple databases.
- Deploy application-level database changes to production and non-production databases as required.
- Investigate and fix database and data-related issues.
- Ensure successful completion of batch loads.
- Assist the Development and Test teams as required with troubleshooting during the testing of maintenance releases.
- Perform mock release deployments to prepare changes for delivery to the production system.
- Ensure that the customer change management process is followed when making changes to the production system.
- Degree or Diploma in IT or Engineering or any relevant Database Administration Certification.
- 3-5 Years relevant working experience.
- Best Practice in Database Administration or Application Server; ITIL & Quality Management Principles.
- Proven working experience on Oracle 11g/12c.
- Basic UNIX/Linux scripting and command line experience.
- SQL scripting working experience.
- Project Life Cycle and software development methodologies.
- Exposure to Web Servers e.g., Oracle Http Server, NGINX, Apache and HTTPD including installations.
- Exposure to DevOps methodology and tools (Jenkins, Git, Nexus, SonarQube, Docker, Podman).
- Install, configuration, connection setups and tuning.
- Must be able to work remotely from home.
- Be prepared to work after hours when required and fulfil stand-by duties when required (24/7 on a rotational basis).
- Be prepared to work from the client offices when required.
- Exposure to Ingres 9.2/11.0 database servers.
- Telecommunications operations knowledge.
- Oracle APEX experience.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- Confident, enthusiastic.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Must be able to work independently as well as be a team player.
- Ability to work under pressure.