Oracle Database Administrator (KZN)
IT – Infrastructure
Durban – KwaZulu Natal
ENSURE the optimal provisioning of ICS services to a dynamic Academic Institution seeking the technical expertise of an Oracle Database Administrator who will also identify existing and potential system performance issues and then conduct the necessary system configuration to optimise system performance. You will assess and analyse the Institution’s future system requirements, forecast system capacity needs, and recommend solutions that best meet those needs. The successful incumbent must have Grade 12/Matric, possess a 3-year ICT-related tertiary qualification OR Information Management OR Information Systems qualification at least NQF Level 7. You will require 8 years of relevant and proven working experience in systems, server, and application provisioning in large and complex ICT environment of which 5 years must be in Oracle DBA & have solid working knowledge of financial protocols. Applicants may be required to undergo a technical competency test.
Strategic alignment of technology, Installation, and customization –
- Analyse the ICT strategy, determine systems implications, and align to the future direction of technology.
- Ensure the efficiency, robustness, fit-for-purpose, and integration of the systems solutions against the business requirements of the Institution.
- Propose a plan of action, obtain approval and buy-in, design and/or source solutions and facilitate implementation and follow-up on results.
- Research, design, consult with industry experts, and provide industry leadership in the innovative design of leading-edge technologies, implementing this in a large, heterogeneous ICT environment at a world-class standard.
- Analyse user requirements and participate in capacity forecasting, asset optimization, efficient utilization, and defining the technology specifications underpinning the provision of ICS services.
Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Optimization, and Integration of specialized systems –
- Assess the impact of critical system downtime and derive and implement plans to mitigate the impact on business.
- Proactively ensure that potential system availability problems or performance bottlenecks are identified and corrected before the Institution is impacted.
- Take ownership of complex problems and ensure that all such problems are speedily resolved.
- Ensure that systems and services are operating at optimal performance levels.
- Liaise with vendors in ensuring maintenance contracts and SLAs are adhered to.
- Ensure systems integrate around a single directory service.
- Installation and configuration of ITS (ERP) Applications; Databases (Oracle, MS-SQL, MySQL) and Printing Systems.
- All installations and configurations will be achieved using documented best practice system architectures.
- Provide consolidated systems view to ensure efficient management systems.
- Ensure proactive incident identification using early warning systems.
- Consult with client base and expert partners on various aspects of operating systems, application provisioning, and systems facilities.
- Attend meetings to evaluate user requirements and recommend solutions to users.
- Contribute to sectional and divisional Operational and Capital Budget requirements.
- Participate in procurement and tendering processes.
- Provide technical consulting services in IT and related topics for such areas as software purchases and installation and the resolution of any resulting problems.
- Attend and make presentations or exhibitions at national conferences or other similar events.
Leadership, Project Management & Research –
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to team members.
- Take overall responsibility for the technology stream in which he/she is the leading expert.
- Interact with other specialists in different domains to ensure a coherent and comprehensive approach to complex problems.
- Assist and guide ICS staff and the User community in problem-solving techniques.
- Design and provide in-house training to departmental staff when necessary.
- Be able to facilitate effective mentorship training programs for team members and the user base.
- Initiate project proposals for approval.
- Serve as the Technical Lead in projects to ensure work packages are delivered on time, on budget, and at an acceptable quality standard. Projects can be complex and can have an Institution-wide impact.
- Keep abreast of industry developments and trends and provide a business value proposition for adopting technologies.
- Matric / Grade 12 Certificate.
- 3-year ICT-related tertiary qualification OR Information Management OR Information Systems qualification at least NQF Level 7.
- 8 Years of relevant and proven working experience in systems, server, and application provisioning in large and complex ICT environment of which 5 years must be in Oracle DBA.
- Have a good working knowledge of financial protocols.
- Applicants may be required to undergo a technical competency test.