Model Automation Engineer (JHB)
IT – Software Testing
Johannesburg – Gauteng
DO you install R, Python, Anaconda, Docker and other open-source tools for kicks? Do you like seeing if you can connect to data sources and make the data available to those that can really extract value from it? Then a fast-paced Analytics Consultancy in Joburg wants you as its next Model Automation Engineer. You must have a Bachelor’s Degree in an IT-related field, ±2 Years’ experience in using Python and similar open-source tools and practical projects in Python and you need to be comfortable living in a Unix shell.
- Ensure Data Science environments are set up for quants.
- Assist quants with connecting to clients’ data sources, including understanding proxies and ssh tunnelling.
- Setup cloud environments for quants to practice modelling.
- Setup version control and best practice environments for data scientists (for an example, look at the Data Science Cookiecutter).
- Assist quants with understanding on best practices for version control, testing and setting up environments.
- Some ad hoc data science requests such as automating extracts and web scraping.
- Look after various cloud setups for the business and clients.
- The company will assist you by paying for online courses, but the candidate will be expected to complete the courses in their spare time.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in an IT related discipline.
- Ideal: some Coursera / similar qualifications.
- Bonus: Honours or Masters’ level qualification.
- ±2 Years’ experience in using Python and similar open-source tools.
- Practical experience in Programming.
- You need to be comfortable living in Unix shell.
- Practical projects with Python are a must.
- Consulting experience would be advantageous.
The tech you will be exposed to will be a myriad of environments, tools and languages. It is very likely that you will get exposure to:
- Serverless environments (primarily on GCP, but likely on other cloud environments)
- Spark / Hadoop / Kafka / Cloudera Stack