Mid to Senior Back end PHP Developer ( Pretoria / Cape Town – REMOTE
IT – Software Development
Cape Town – Western Cape ~ Remote ~ Pretoria/Centurion – Gauteng
- Take responsibility for work and own the outcome.
- Conduct root cause analysis – understand the problem, not the request, and deliver appropriate solutions.
- Analyse systems for root cause, impact, workarounds, and permanent fixes.
- Define problem, goal, and acceptance criteria.
- Conduct research on possible solutions and techniques.
- Prepare a work breakdown structure.
- Determine dependencies among deliverables.
- Estimate duration of deliverables.
- Identify risks.
- Document analysis and planning.
- Work with stakeholders to achieve appropriate solutions.
- Deliver high-quality work.
- Measurable based on comebacks from code review and sign-off.
- Follow project plan to develop software.
- Adhere to agreed-upon standards for code.
- Generate and maintain high-quality code.
- Use effective and efficient components & techniques to implement solutions.
- Test own work (measurable based on comebacks from testing.)
- Ensure that all work is tested and fulfils functional requirements before passing on.
- Prepare a test environment, examples, and instructions.
- Review code of peers.
- Deploy changes to live environment.
- Deliver high-quality throughput.
- Measurable based on the number of issues closed per month.
- Measurable based on several points completed based on complexity and size.
- Provide thorough, accurate comments on issues and tickets.
- Continuously engage with team members and relevant stakeholders.
- Keep the work calendar updated.
- Inform team of whereabouts where relevant.
- Proactively keep supervisor and team updated on risks and problems.
- Be available for queries regarding the system.
- Give guidance to other developers.
- Share knowledge with peers.
- Provide support to the support staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent preferred.
- Diploma in Development / Programming.
- BIS Multimedia or BSs Computer Science.
- More than 3 years’ experience.
- Experience in building large scale backend systems.
- Experience in native mobile app development.
- Experience in large scale hosting and maintenance (e.g., Kubernetes) in a Cloud based or bare-metal Unix environment.
- Experience in designing and implementing DevOps lifecycles.
- Experience in UI & UX for web and mobile
- Relational database experience (MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
- Backend Technologies: PHP 7+, Laravel Framework 8+, Kubernetes, Docker, Elasticsearch (multicluster HA), PostgreSQL, Redis, AWS S3, AWS CloudFront, AWS IAM, Cloudflare, Nginx, MySQL, NodeJS
- Mobile Technologies: Objective-C, Swift, Cocoa pods, iOS 8+ (Foundation, UIKit, Ad Support, Web Kit, Safari Services etc).
- Other: Git.
- Analysis and design methodologies.
- RESTful APIs.
- Google Apps APIs.
- Knowledge of school administration systems.
- Technical specification & documentation.
- Backend Technologies: Google Cloud Platform, Kibana, Datadog, Memcached, Cloudflare, Apache, CouchDB or any NoSQL database.
- Web Technologies: LESS, Any frontend framework such as ReactJS or Vue.js.
- Mobile Technologies: Objective-C, Swift, Cocoa pods, iOS 8+ (Foundation, UIKit, Ad Support, Web Kit, safari Services etc).
- Other: Azure Devops, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Sketch.
Desire to make a real difference.