Mechanical Lead Engineer
Cape Town – Western Cape
Your strong leadership ability and exceptional organisation skills is sought by a fast-paced Engineering Service Provider in Durbanville seeking its next Mechanical Lead Engineer with a passion for Automotive Engineering and CAD Design. Your core role will be to direct and guide Design Engineers on technical related aspects. You will also be expected to engage with customers to establish the utilization of design resources, manage project timelines, perform CAD Design including 3D Modeling, 2D Drawings and maintenance of Bill of materials while leading design reviews. You must possess a BEng./BSc./BTech Degree in Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering, at least 7 years’ Post-grad Engineering Design preferably in the Automotive Design industry, excellent task management, planning and leadership skills. Travel abroad will be expected.
- Team Leadership.
- Interface with customers to help establish and prioritise the utilisation of design resources.
- Delegate work to assigned Engineering personnel.
- Manage project / task timelines to ensure that agreed milestones are reached and communicate and plan for non-compliance in a timely manner.
- Take responsibility for the technical soundness and compliance of designs to the customer’s, and general Engineering practices and standards.
- Organise and lead “internal” design reviews to ensure that designs that are reviewed with the customer are properly checked for soundness and compliance.
- Lead design reviews with the customer and suppliers.
- Perform CAD Design (3D Modeling, create 2D Drawings, Maintain Bill of materials).
- Work inside customer PDM system.
- Maintain customer product sales option matrix.
- Production Support (Custom Order Engineering Requests).
- BEng., BSc. or BTech Degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering.
- 7 – 10 Years of Post-graduate Engineering Design experience, preferably in the Automotive Design environment.
- Passionate about Automotive Engineering and CAD Design.
- Excellent in task management.
- Planning & Leadership skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle priority changes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication (English).
- Computer literacy (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Be willing to travel overseas for variable periods depending on the particular needs at that time.