Mechanical Engineer (Wet Services & Fire Protection) (CPT)
Cape Town – Western Cape
COORDINATE the design & virtual construction of the relevant building services design projects as the next Mechanical Engineer sought by a provider of cutting-edge Engineering Solutions. You will help virtual design and construct a wide range of projects while your Wet Services and Fire Protection Design skills, inclusive of some HVAC design experience which will be an advantage, will see you working with our team to co-create engineering solutions digitally. The ideal candidate will require a BSc/MSc or BEng/MEng within building services related field, with Wet Services and Fire Protection experience & be professionally Registered (PrEng). You will also need 6 years work experience in the Mechanical environment with a strong background in Wet Services/Fire Protection design, including Domestic Water, Waste Drainage, Rainwater Drainage, LPG, Sprinkler Protection & Dry Fire Protection Systems (e.g., FM200). You must also have a solid understanding of local and international codes and standards, including those applicable to South Africa, Middle East, SE Asia & Australia.
- Provide leadership to a team of Digital Designers, Engineers, Technicians and Modellers, primarily within the Wet Services and Fire Protection disciplines.
- Analyse project requirements in the context of various codes and standards and develop conceptual designs through to a set of construction information.
- Coordinate the design and virtual construction of the relevant building services designs forming part of projects such as data centres, education and sports facilities, hospitals, commercial buildings and transport facilities to ensure deliverables meet required robust industry and legal standards.
- Develop and specify Wet Services and Fire Protection systems including:
- Hot and cold Domestic Water
- Grey and black water
- Waste Drainage
- Rainwater Drainage
- Sprinkler Protection
- Dry Fire Protection Systems (e.g., FM200)
- Represent the firm at technical meetings with customers, professional teams and contractor teams.
- Responsible for technical content and accuracy of Trainee, Graduates and Engineers.
- Validation and checking of designs and specifications.
- Ensure full responsibility and accountability for all related design aspects, from conceptional to final design.
- Develop scripts and add-ins to automate repetitive design aspects and/or to check various design compliance aspects (using e.g., Dynamo, Python).
- Manage and quality check deliverables (incl. modelling works, data/parameter management) carried out by global and multinational dispersed and remote teams.
- Co-ordinate with other disciplines.
- Maintain project records in accordance with the internal quality system.
- Challenge the team to remain ahead of the technology curve, regarding technical trends, as well as design execution.
- BSc/MSc or BEng/MEng within building services related field, Wet Services and Fire Protection experience.
- Professionally Registered (PrEng).
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in the Mechanical environment, within the built environment, preferably within a Consulting Engineering business.
- A strong background in Wet Services/Fire Protection design, including Domestic Water, Waste Drainage, Rainwater Drainage, LPG, Sprinkler Protection & Dry Fire Protection Systems (e.g., FM200).
- Demonstratable experience leading large projects, from concept, through to construction.
- Have strong understanding of local and international codes and standards, including those applicable to South Africa, Middle East, SE Asia & Australia.
- Previous exposure to datacentre, stadiums, education, healthcare, and other commercial related projects.
- Experience of projects in the Middle East.
- Understanding of LEED/WELL requirements.
- International project experience (outside Africa).
- Strong proficiency in Revit with the ability to deliver to a minimum of LOD300.
- A passion for design data management and coding.
- Works well under tight deadlines and when not all information is available – understand when to use reasonable engineering judgement to cover cost until outstanding information becomes available.
- A willingness to learn and investigate technological systems.
- A strong interest in working on innovative and complex projects.