Mechanical Design Engineer
Cape Town – Western Cape
A provider of cutting-edge Engineering Solutions in Durbanville seeks the expertise of a Mechanical Design Engineer whose core role will be to provide product development direction and support. You will also be involved in product sustainment and improvement throughout the product lifecycle, troubleshooting and resolution of Engineering-related assembly while providing process expertise to support regular production and implementation of new systems. You will require a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with 3-10 years’ suitable work experience including solid working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics and PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred.
Job Summary –
- Product sustainment and improvement throughout the product life cycle in support of the brand, product strategy and objectives and customer experience.
- Ongoing hands-on production line support, including troubleshooting and resolution of engineering-related assembly and other issues in support of on-time delivery to customers.
- Liaison between customers, suppliers, production, process engineering-, and Development teams by applying product and process expertise to support regular production and implementation of new systems.
- Responsible for all engineering liaison, validation, and testing activities.
Further Duties –
- Provide design direction, including technical specifications and requirements, to on- and offshore Engineering resources for the CAB and CAB systems (subject systems) for heavy/severe duty trucks following best Engineering practices.
- Contribute to product improvements, new features or options development and product portfolio growth initiatives for subject systems throughout the product lifecycle.
- Support product planning initiatives.
- Keep abreast of and advise the Engineering team on industry trends and new technologies.
- Manage 3rd party providers such as suppliers and development teams/consultants as it relates to the subject systems’ design, development, and ongoing product support and improvements.
- Lead and/or support project status reviews, design reviews, design analysis activities such as DFMEA’s, product integrity initiatives and production readiness reviews.
- Create, maintain, and file design intent and history documentation including testing and validation.
- Engage and align with engineering peers across vehicle systems and other platforms in the interest of interface control and commonality.
- Identify opportunities and support continuous improvement to promote engineering quality during the product development and release management process.
- Provide day-to-day support of cross-functional teams such as Sales, Service, Warranty, Parts, Purchasing, Materials, Productivity Engineering and Program Management to align goals and expectations.
- Perform and or support online and offline validation and testing of new designs and provide feedback to the Design team.
- Provide hands-on Engineering support to resolve day-to-day assembly line issues.
- Ensure deviations and substitutions are implemented as required.
- Support the Product Integrity Team with issue resolution.
- Interact with customers as required, including product support at customer locations.
- Provide Engineering support relating to compliance and regulatory matters, including participating in industry standards forums/events if required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3-5 Years of Engineering experience.
- A thorough working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics.
- PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred.
- Computer literacy with Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- South African Citizenship.
- Strong analytical and technical skills to understand business practices.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent in task management.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good Written and Verbal Communication (English).