Linux Systems Engineer (JHB)
IT – Infrastructure
Johannesburg – Gauteng
A fast-paced provider of Secure & Seamless IT Solutions in Joburg seeks a highly technical Linux Systems Engineer with the ability to troubleshoot and elegantly fix complex issues. The ideal candidate must care deeply about security and quality of work, you will need proven engineering skills when researching and implementing new technologies, have at least 5 years’ experience managing complex Linux-based IT environments, be able to maintain, build and upgrade Zimbra, able to liaise with 3rd Party Software Vendors and have proficiency in the following tech tools: AWS, SAN, Linux, Server, VMware, Apache, NGINX, DNS, MySQL, Open-source NMS (Nagios), Ansible, Perl, Bash, Git, SVN and able to troubleshoot using tools like iostat, sar and vmstat.
- Proven engineering skills when researching and implementing new technologies.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in managing complex Linux based IT environments.
- The ability to maintain, build and upgrade Zimbra.
- Able to maintain, manage, design, and troubleshoot security policies, networks, firewalls, applications, and server deployments in both dedicated and virtualized environments.
- Able to liaise with 3rd Party Software Vendors in troubleshooting and ongoing maintenance.
- Understanding of AWS.
- Understanding of Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies.
- Working understanding of –
- Linux server administration
- Networking Fundamentals
- Open-source NMS (Nagios)
- Must be able to troubleshoot performance issues using tools like iostat, sar and vmstat.
- Knowledge of Iptables.
- Solid Scripting experience (Perl, Bash).
- Understanding of source code control (Git, SVN).
- Excellent troubleshooting, root cause analysis and permanent problem resolution skills.
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends (when required).
- Willingness to do rotational standby shifts.
- Own transport and valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to share knowledge and contribute to a team.
- Good communication (written and verbal).
- Ability to clearly articulate in a professional manner.
- Capacity to work under pressure.
- Can handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and be organised.
- Able work independently and in a team environment (same team and cross-functional teams).