Linux and Network Engineer
IT – Software Development ~ IT – Infrastructure
Cape Town – Western Cape
A UK-based Consultancy and Software Solutions Provider seeks an ambitious & self-driven Linux and Network Engineer to join its Cape Town team. The successful candidate will have a proven track record as a Linux systems engineer with strong network engineering skills. Whilst a degree or certification is not mandatory, one or more of the following certifications would be highly advantageous: Degree or Diploma in Computer Technology, LPIC (Linux Professional Institute Certification), Oracle Certified Associate / Professional, Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), or Storage-related certification.
- Deployment, automation, management, and maintenance of Linux production systems and client networking infrastructure.
- Ensuring availability, performance, security, and scalability of Linux production systems and client networking infrastructure.
- Design, maintain and manage tools for automation of different operational processes.
- Linux system troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Provide recommendations for architecture and process improvements.
- Evaluation of new technology alternatives and vendor products.
- Leading and working as part of cloud solution rollout projects.
- Linux: 5 years+ (required).
- IP networking: 5+ years (required).
- CCNA or equivalent (preferred).
- 10+ years of related IT experience.
- Comfortable working to tight deadlines and demanding SLAs.
- Have proven expertise in IT project delivery.
- The successful candidate would have experience in many of the following technologies/methodologies:
- Administration of Ubuntu/Debian or derivatives.
- Administration of RHEL/CentOS or derivatives.
- Support of LAMP environments (including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache/NGINX)
- Architect, build, operate, and troubleshoot enterprise infrastructure platforms including firewalls, load balancers, VPNs, etc.
- IP address planning & subnetting, DNS, peering, routing protocols, proxies, and related skillsets.
- Experience with multi-tier architectures: load balancers, caching, web servers, application servers, databases, and networking.
- Whilst a degree or certification is not mandatory, one or more of the following certifications would be highly advantageous:
- Degree or Diploma in Computer Technology.
- LPIC (Linux Professional Institute Certification).
- Oracle Certified Associate / Professional.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA).
- Storage-related certification.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and know what it means to be a good team player.
- Have a professional and mature work ethic.
- Know how to serve demanding international clients, who expect a very high standard of service.
- Be a positive individual willing to learn quickly and work hard.
- Provide out-of-hours cover infrequently.
- Show a track record of completing tasks and projects on time and at high quality.