IT Systems Administrator (Linux) (JHB)
IT – Support
Johannesburg – Gauteng
A national provider of Digital Communications in Joburg seeks the technical abilities of a self-driven IT Systems Administrator (Linux) who enjoys finding innovative solutions to complex issues as you will work on multiple projects and problems simultaneously. Your role will also entail installing, configuring & supporting the business LAN, WAN and internet operations while maintaining network hardware and software, performing data backups and fixing system problems. The ideal candidate must have an IT related Degree/Diploma/Certificate e.g., MCSA/E, have 5+ years’ proven experience as a Systems Administrator / Network Administrator or similar role, 3 – 5 years’ experience in Linux (Ubuntu), 3+ years’ AWS, proficiency with VMware, Fortinet, Veeam & patch management tools such as GFI languard. You must also be fluent in English with strong communication skills and have your own transport.
- Install, configure, and support the organisation’s Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), and Internet system, and maintain network hardware and software.
- Monitor the network to ensure availability to all system users and performs necessary maintenance to support network availability.
- Plan, implement and coordinate network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems and replace defective components when required.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Monitor the performance of networks and systems, and coordinate network access and usage.
- Design, configure and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Recommend improvements to systems and network configurations and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Work with other technical users on solving existing system problems.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments are required and to determine where adjustments will be required in future.
- Document own project processes, findings and for the purpose of knowledge sharing.
- IT related Degree/ Diploma/Certificate (e.g., Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator / Engineer (MCSA /E).
- 5+ Years proven experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator, or similar role in a Microsoft environment.
- 3+ Years proven experience in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in Linux (Ubuntu).
- Proven experience in VMware and its associated systems (e.g., vSAN).
- Fluent in English.
- Experience with Firewalls (Fortinet), networks (LAN, WAN), data backup / recovery (Veeam), system monitoring (PRTG) and patch management tools (GFI languard).
- Own transport essential.
- Microsoft Azure.
- Microsoft 365 Exchange.
- SD-WAN knowledge.
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude.
- Excellent communication skills.