Head of Risk & Compliance (DBN)
Durban – KwaZulu Natal
Our client is an innovative Financial Services Provider, with an approach to business that is outside the box and sometimes viewed as unconventional. Proudly different, and not for everyone. Empowering, transformation, wellness, strong and healthy mindsets and striving for the absolute best, lie at the centre of the company ethos. They choose to work only with people who are committed to continuous learning, and who are willing to step far outside of what they know and who want to grow and develop to their highest potential.
Does this sound like you? Fantastic! Please read on…
ENSURE secure business trading & the achievement of Compliance and Market Conduct objectives utilising your expertise as a solutions-driven Head of Risk & Compliance sought by a Durban-based Financial Services Provider. You will do this through ongoing implementation and maintenance of the company’s Compliance program which includes building and enhancing relationships with key stakeholders such as Insurers, FSCA and the Information Regulator. The successful incumbent must possess a relevant Degree or Compliance Diploma and preferably be registered as a Compliance Officer. You will also require 10 years’ experience in Financial Services with extensive knowledge of relevant legislation, including but not limited to FAIS, LTIA, STIA, PPRs, CPA, POPI and ECT Act. You must also have a proven track record in the practical application of legislation in an FSP.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements including but not limited to LTIA, STIA, Insurance Act, PPRs, FAIS, FICA and POPI specifically.
- Promote a culture that contributes to the overall objective of prudent Market Conduct and Compliance Management.
- Represent the company and its position with the relevant Insurers and regulatory bodies, including the FSCA and Information Regulator.
- Monitor compliance across the business and conduct routine assessments of key functional areas.
- Facilitate implementation of regulatory solutions, which take cognisance of the business model and risk appetite.
- Implement and review control measures relative to risk across the business.
- Complete statutory returns (including CBRs) and ensure that the company’s obligations to the regulators are met.
- Assess compliance by strategic partners with requirements and ensure that corrective actions are implemented.
- Responsible for the identification of POPI risks, implementation of the POPI governance framework, processes and controls, assessment of effectiveness and monitoring of POPI compliance overall.
- Develop a strategic plan for data protection.
- Develop and manage stakeholder relations.
- Manage data protection across the business areas as well as review all processes to identify gaps for potential threats.
- Initiate incident response plans in the event of unauthorised disclosure of information.
- Ensure own understanding of all systems that acquire the storing and transferring of data.
- Work with IT and Information Security.
- Lead Privacy Impact Assessments as well as security and site inspections.
- Appropriate Degree / Compliance Diploma.
- Registered as a Compliance Officer with the FSCA preferred.
- 10 Years’ experience in the Financial Services industry (ideally in a Senior role).
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation, including but not limited to FAIS, LTIA, STIA, PPRs, CPA, POPI and ECT Act.
- Proven track record in the practical application of legislation in an FSP.
- Relevant practical Financial Services Compliance experience.
- Understanding of Information Security, Data Governance and IT systems.
- IT skills and knowledge with a POPI context.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to influence at a Senior level, including strategic external stakeholders.
- Strong evaluation and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Self-generator and proactive.
- Passionate and driven.
- Working in Action.
- Team player.
- Conscious, vulnerable, emotionally resilient, courageous.
- Own It! Now!