GUI Developer (Delphi, DB2, SQL)
IT – Software Development
Cape Town – Western Cape
TAKE responsibility for a holistic solution by developing code for new projects, sub-projects or changes, additions, or enhancements to existing projects as the next GUI Developer sought by a leading HealthTech company. You will also drive the business solution to meet specific business requirements while providing guidance and coaching on design and approach for more complex projects. The ideal candidate requires Matric/Grade 12, formal Programming/IT related qualification, have up to 5 years Delphi, up to 2 years DB2 and SQL with ODBC/JDBC experience, System Analysis and Design & demonstrable ability to develop fully functional and independent applications and be able to code programs that implement complete and efficient error handling.
Design changes, additions or enhancement for existing systems –
- Design changes, additions or enhancements to existing systems as per relevant specification.
- Thoroughly investigate each incident, analyse the incident, recommend solutions, consult and collaborate with the Software Development Manager, and other Developers in order to write the best possible solution/resolve the incident with due regard to continuous improvement.
- Keep the RT incident tracking system updated.
- When writing the best possible solution due to considerations must be given to best practices, continuous improvement, IT strategy and IT technical architecture as well as the impact on existing functionality and applications. The changes would be requested due to actions resulting from incidents, changes to programs or ad hoc requests. For system designs changes dictated to by incidents due to priority must be given as dictated by the urgency and the importance of the incident.
Develop new application code for projects, product releases and ad hoc duties –
- Conform to the System Development Life Cycle with due regard to the steps involved and where the Developer fits in.
- Take responsibility for holistic solution and to drive the business solution from technical analysis, coding, testing and true to implementation release.
- Give input as may be required to the Business Analyst for assistance in the development of business specifications or software requirement specifications.
- Once the business specification or software requirement specification has been signed off, interpret the requirements and interview the business owner, if necessary, to obtain the required level of clarity and understanding as well as to ensure that nothing is being omitted. Due consideration must be given to best practices, continuous improvement, IT technical architecture as well as the impact on existing functionality and applicants.
- Work with and according to the documents sign off in the analysis, design and planning phases-design code within the agreed timelines and according to accepted standards and technical specifications.
- Development to be submitted for code review when required.
- The project timeline must be managed using an initial estimation and plan followed by regular updates and feedback to the Project Manager. Attend Project meetings or other meetings when required.
- During the implementation cycle, participate in the relevant meetings, assist the Implementation Manager in developing checklists and contingency plans, providing implementation details and perform all clean up as required.
- At the end of the project, all technical documentation must be completed according to the relevant standard operating procedures.
- Liaise with the relevant staff in terms of specific projects/ sub-project requirements and the impact arising from the projects/ sub-project requirements.
Technical Testing –
- A test plan must be drawn up if required.
- All development work must be thoroughly technically tested against the technical specification before handing over to the project quality management for final testing.
- Testing must ensure the programs function technically and that the workflow conforms to the design. This testing must be inclusive of dependent resources.
- Be responsible for the full hand over of the release which includes all code relevant to the release and technical documentation and any other dependencies.
- Be responsible for ensuring that appropriate people are informed of and make the appropriate changes to the environment prior to hand over.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the code can run on the recipient’s environment.
- Testing must be signed off on the Developers release form which must also be signed off by the Software Development Manager.
- Work with and respond to all Testers queries promptly to ensure bug fixes take place.
Professional development (receiving coaching from Senior Developers, Analysts and Software Development Manager) –
Be responsible for driving the acquisition of skills necessary to bridge the gap between a Developer and a Senior Developer by:
- Submit development work for peer code reviews, standard review.
- Be open for coaching from more peers on the anomalies found.
- From time to time taking independent action to promote communication and learning/sharing knowledge and innovations with the rest of the team.
- Be willing to be assigned to a more senior person to assist with assimilation into the culture and cross skilling on applications.
- Be willing to participate in cross-skilling activities for own growth.
Documentation (Administration) –
- For all development work completed a technical specification (including the process and logic flow, the testing considerations and the restart and the recovery possibilities) and release form must be completed according to the SOP. All related documentation must be complete on time namely:
- Time sheets
- Max documents
- Leave forms, etc.
- Matric / Grade 12.
- Formal Programming or IT related qualification is also acceptable.
- Up to 5 years Delphi experience.
- Up to 2 years DB2 and SQL with ODBC/JDBC experience.
- System Analysis and Design.
- Demonstrable ability to develop fully functional and independent applications.
- Ability to code programs that implement complete and efficient error handling.
- Must have technical knowledge to produce efficient code which meets all standards and adopted industry standards.
- Understand relational databases.
- Inter-system communication / system integration knowledge.
- Relevant Degree or Diploma.
- Agile Development cycle.
- Cross-platform exposure will be beneficial (IBMi and Stratus).
- Technical professional knowledge.
- Strong inter-departmental communication
- Builds strategic working relationships.
- Contributes to team’s success.
- Manages conflict.
- Work standards.
- Manages work.
- Decision making.
- Continuous learning.
- Stress tolerance.