General Manager: Museum (UK)
Exciting opportunity for a General Manager at a Museum in the UK. Role includes overseeing museum experience, kitchen garden, and restaurant. Ideal candidate fluent in Afrikaans, with business and operational skills, hospitality background, BA language and culture degree, and age between 35 and 45. Salary: £6000/month. Experience starting or assisting a start-up business a plus. The company is willing to sponsor visas if necessary and will assist with UK visa applications. They are also open to considering candidates with British passports or UK work eligibility and will aid with relocation.
- Building and leading a team of museum personnel across various departments (exhibitions, restaurant, maintenance).
- Creating a pleasant guest experience.
- Upkeep of all museum installations, of which some could be technically complex.
- Oversee management of restaurant team.
- Managing site maintenance, including gardens and grounds.
- Defining long-term goals, developing business models, and implementing such plans.
- Building on employee strengths and positioning teams accordingly.
- Managing suppliers and building strong community relations.
- Managing the museum’s operations and budget.
- A qualification in museum (or similar) management, business management or hospitality.
- Interest in South African history.
- Relevant experience in guest facilities, restaurant management or food production.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as presentation skills.
- Ability to manage a team.
- Some experience of financial management.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to maintain high standards under pressure.