Firmware Test Engineer
IT – Software Testing
Stellenbosch – Western Cape
A progressive provider of Fleet Solutions located in Stellenbosch is currently in the process of enlisting a Firmware Test Engineer to become a part of their IoT Testing Team. This role will involve taking charge of creating and executing tests and test frameworks, aimed at ensuring the functionality and robustness of firmware products. Your collaborative efforts will be directed towards developers and engineers, as you collectively work on the creation and automation of test cases and tools for the validation and qualification of firmware. To be considered for this role, you will need to have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field such as mechatronic or electronic engineering (or equivalent), a minimum of 3+ years of hands-on experience in the development of test infrastructure and the execution/integration of firmware tests for embedded devices, familiarity with the National Instruments Development suite (including Labview and TestStand) and proficiency in C# .NET and SQL.
- Ownership of firmware test application on hardware prototype projects and development platforms.
- Experimenting with and implementing testing interfaces to various sensors/peripherals.
- Coding programs and scripts as necessary to test embedded systems.
- Work closely with various core technical teams to define prototyping scope and applications towards various technology roadmaps and products.
- Porting and Integrating Firmware tests for various peripherals.
- Working to integrate the firmware tests in a CI/CD pipeline.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or mechatronic/electronic engineering (or similar)
- A good command of the English language
- At least 3+ years of experience in development of test infrastructure and executing/integration of firmware tests for embedded devices.
- Experience with National Instruments Development suite (Labview, TestStand)
- Experience with C# .NET and SQL
- Experience with protocol design, test specification, and test implementation
- Experience with debugging and general problem solving in different code bases and environments.
- Experience in working with emulators and simulators.
- Driver and board-level system software test development and integration
Beneficial experience (not essential):
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, GPS, Cellular, LoRa, TCP/UDP, MQTT, AWS IoT
- Experience with C and RTOS fundamentals
- Experience in working with FPGAs.
- JTAG debugging experience.
- ARM/RISCV based processors and micro-controllers and communications protocols such as I2C, UART, SPI, USB, MIPI, I2S, etc.
- Problem solving
- Results orientation
- Continual improvement mindset
- Organizing and managing self
- Supporting others and teamwork