Enterprise Technology Manager (Senior IT Manager)
IT – Manager
Durban – KwaZulu Natal
An accredited private higher education institution registered with the DHET and CHE, specializes in distance education, providing a range of undergraduate and postgraduate business qualifications. They currently have an exciting job opportunity to share in that of an Enterprise Technology Manager (ETM) which entails a broad spectrum of duties revolving around the efficient oversight and enhancement of an organization’s technological infrastructure and assets.
- Technology Strategy Development: ETMs are responsible for developing and aligning the organization’s technology strategy with its overall business objectives. This involves understanding the business’s needs and goals and then identifying how technology can support and enable those objectives.
- Technology Planning and Road mapping: Creating and maintaining a technology roadmap that outlines the evolution of the organization’s technology infrastructure over time. This includes planning for hardware and software upgrades, system migrations, and technology adoption.
- Budgeting and Resource Allocation: Managing the technology budget, allocating resources efficiently, and ensuring that technology investments align with the organization’s strategic priorities. This involves cost analysis, vendor negotiations, and financial forecasting.
- Infrastructure Management: Overseeing the organization’s technology infrastructure, including servers, networks, data centres, and cloud services. This involves ensuring that systems are secure, scalable, and reliable.
- Security and Compliance: Implementing and managing robust cybersecurity measures to protect the organization’s data and systems. ETMs are responsible for staying up to date with security threats and compliance requirements, such as GDPR or HIPAA, and ensuring the organization’s technology environment is in compliance.
- Vendor and Supplier Management: Managing relationships with technology vendors and suppliers. This includes evaluating vendors, negotiating contracts, and ensuring that services and products meet the organization’s needs and standards.
- Project Management: Overseeing technology projects from inception to completion. ETMs need strong project management skills to ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget, and according to specifications.
- Team Leadership and Development: Building and leading a team of technology professionals. This includes hiring, training, and mentoring staff, as well as fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- IT Service Management: Implementing and managing IT service management (ITSM) practices and tools to provide efficient and responsive support to end-users within the organization.
- Emerging Technology Evaluation: Staying current with emerging technologies and assessing their potential impact on the organization. ETMs should identify opportunities for innovation and advise on the adoption of new technologies.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity: Developing and maintaining plans and procedures for disaster recovery and business continuity to ensure that critical systems can be restored in the event of a disruption or disaster.
- Performance Monitoring and Optimization: Continuously monitoring the performance of technology systems and identifying areas for improvement. This includes optimizing systems for efficiency and scalability.
- Data Management and Analytics: Ensuring the organization’s data is managed effectively, including data storage, backup, and data analytics. This may involve implementing data governance practices.
- User Training and Support: Providing training and support to end-users to ensure they can effectively utilize the technology tools and resources provided by the organization.
- Communication and Stakeholder Engagement: Communicating technology strategies, plans, and achievements to key stakeholders, including senior management, to ensure alignment with business goals and secure necessary support and resources.
- Postgraduate degree in computer science, information technology, information systems, or business management.
- Professional Certifications such as CISM, CISSP, PMP, CSM among others
- Several years of experience in various IT roles, such as system administration, network management, project management, or IT leadership roles.
- Experience in managing IT teams or projects is essential. Demonstrated leadership and a track record of successfully delivering technology projects are highly valuable.
- Education in Higher Education is highly advantageous.
Job Related Knowledge and Skills
Competencies and Skills:
- Leadership and Management Skills: Effective communication, team leadership, and the ability to inspire and motivate staff are crucial.
- Strategic Thinking: The ability to align technology initiatives with business goals and develop a long-term technology strategy is essential.
- Technical Proficiency: A strong foundation in IT, including knowledge of infrastructure, software development, and emerging technologies.
- Problem-Solving: ETMs often face complex technology challenges and must be adept at solving problems and making informed decisions.
- Business Acumen: Understanding the organization’s industry, market, and financial aspects is critical for making technology decisions that benefit the business.
- Security Awareness: Given the increasing importance of cybersecurity, a strong understanding of security principles and best practices is vital.
- Project Management: Proficiency in project management methodologies and tools to oversee technology projects effectively.
- Communication: Strong communication skills are necessary for interacting with technical and non-technical stakeholders, including executives.
- Adaptability: Technology is continuously evolving, and ETMs must be adaptable to stay current and incorporate new technologies as needed.
Team Collaboration: The ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and departments is essential for achieving technology goals.