Domain Architect – Analytics
IT – Analyst, Data Management ~ IT – Software Development
Cape Town – Western Cape
A leading Retail Giant seeks the expertise of a forward-thinking Domain Architect to advise and drive the Analytics Solution strategy that underpins business solutions, creates the architecture for these platforms and leads the realization of the architecture roadmap into the target state. You must possess a Degree in Information Systems/Computer Science or similar discipline with deep subject matter knowledge of Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Big Data and Data Science Systems as applicable to the retail industry is essential. Some of your skills should include Cloud, APIs, Microservices, ETL, OLAP, Snowflake, Teradata, Oracle 12c, Informatica, Cloudera, Alteryx, NoSQL, Big Data, Talend, EMR, Kinesis, Selenium, Athena, Redshift & be familiar with Data Lakes, Data Vaults and Data Marts.
Consult on the Analytics Business strategy, develop Analytics Systems roadmaps and reference architectures, and governance technology selection in support thereof:
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the technology strategy and business priorities for Analytics in the enterprise.
- Develop the Analytics landscape roadmap and blueprints in line with the strategic business direction.
- Maintain, socialize and enforce Analytics System standards, keeping technology stakeholders up to date with changes in the technology standards highlighting potential impact to the enterprise.
- Be clearly identified as the Analytics Systems authority for all technologies and provide technical guidance and leadership in Analytics technology proposals, RFIs, RFPs, and project teams.
- Keep abreast of the latest Analytics technology trends and emerging technologies, determine the potential impact on the enterprise, and drive adoption as deemed appropriate.
- Create and present reference architectures as advice on the Analytics architecture strategy for the organisation.
Serve as the Analytics domain architecture and design authority for all project and operational stakeholders, and ensure architecture quality across all solution platforms enabled by Analytics technologies:
- Be clearly identified as the senior design authority as it relates to the Analytics domain and provide technical guidance and leadership in solution proposals, RFIs, RFPs, and project teams.
- Partner with the Enterprise Architect and other Solution Architects in support of the definition and development of the overall enterprise solution landscape.
- Detect critical deficiencies in Analytics architectures and recommend improvements.
- Work with external service providers to drive projects to successful implementation.
- Review external and internal designs for Analytics systems from a risk and technology perspective
- Ensure applicable Architecture and Design reviews are conducted for Analytics solutions in line with the defined IT governance and processes.
- Provide architectural oversight and guidance to development teams to ensure high-quality technical solution designs during the detailed design, build, test and deploy phases that conforms to architecture principles and standards.
- Mentor Solution Architect / Senior Developers / Designers / Business Analysts.
Provide expert Analytics guidance, ensure solution architectures and designs are in line with the media strategy and technology standards and conduct architecture and design reviews as part of the Architecture Review Committee:
- Define and develop the overall analytics architecture landscape in partnership with other Domain Architects and Solution Architects.
- Review proposed solution architectures ensuring alignment with architecture principles, the architecture framework, Analytics reference architectures, set technology standards and identify critical gaps, and recommend improvements.
- Give guidance and advice to peers in respect to Analytics solution designs ensuring the designs conform to industry best practices and standards.
- Engage all stakeholders to obtain agreement on proposed Analytics solutions and work closely with business stakeholders, Business Analysts, System Analysts and Project Managers to architect and implement media solutions.
Contribute to solution architecture and design standards and SDLC governance requirements:
- Define a framework for Solution Architecture and develop the policies and procedures and templates to guide and govern the Solution Architecture processes.
- Develop and maintain solution architecture principles and quality compliance criteria to guide technology decisions.
- Develop and set solution modelling standards and guidelines.
- Define a set of metrics to measure and report on the performance of the various solution architecture processes.
- Degree in Information Systems / BSc Computer Science (or similar).
10 – 15 Years –
- Working experience within the IT industry.
- Architecture and design of Analytics Solutions (Cloud, APIs, Microservices, self-service, etc.) and integration to other solutions.
- Understanding of the broader Analytics industry.
8+ Years –
- Architecting IT Technology programs with detailed understanding of the Analytics Systems and Frameworks.
5 – 10 Years –
- Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Data Science, Big Data and Data Visualization solutions.
- Data Lakes, Data Vaults and Data Marts.
- Experience with all aspects of IT projects from Business Analysis, Architectures, System Analysis and Design through Development, Testing, Implementation, and Production Support (SDLC).
- Excellent design and architecture skills and proven track record delivering well designed complex enterprise class systems.
- Identification and formulation of solution architecture and solution alternatives and their assessment.
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of application development methodologies and practices.
- Retail industry experience with an understanding of retail business processes.
- Knowledge and experience in the design and use of (multi-dimensional) Data Warehouses, and the use of ETL software to provide these with information.
- Using BI solutions, decision support systems, OLAP technology, and multi-dimensional data.
- With modern Data Warehousing technologies such as Snowflake, Teradata, Oracle 12c, Informatica, Cloudera, Alteryx, etc.
3+ Years –
- Technical development and the ability to mentor others to improve their design and development skills.
- With AWS BI-related technologies (e.g., Talend, EMR, Kinesis, Selenium, Athena, Redshift, etc.).
- Architecting Big Data solutions.
- Proven experience creating data engineering solutions, building and maintaining reliable and scalable ETL on big data platforms as well as experience working with varied forms of data infrastructures
- Software Development frameworks and methodologies (Agile, Scrum, TOGAF, etc.).
2 – 3 Years –
- Lead a team through an architectural development process and collaborated with application development teams, Architects and other members of the software development team.
- With current research and standards in Solution Architecture.
- Experience in high volume data and files processing, in a batch and real time, integration environment.
- Various data modelling paradigms (dimensional, data vault, normalized, NoSQL).
- Project Management experience of mid-sized projects.
- Experience with data monetization business models.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and logical skills.
- Excellent team-working, interpersonal skills.
- Develop of proposals and excellent written communication & presentation skills.
- Excellent organisation and facilitation skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.