Development Team Leader (DevOps)
IT – Infrastructure
Cape Town – Western Cape
LEAD and manage a team responsible for enabling the planning, provisioning, and implementation of scalable infrastructure while supporting them in building industry leading, robust, and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose as the next Development Team Leader (DevOps) sought by a dynamic Fund Management Firm. You will also be responsible for automating all the manual tasks for developing and deploying code and data, to implementing continuous deployment and continuous integration frameworks and maintaining high availability of production and non-production work environments. You must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems/Computer Science and be Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert. You will require a proven track record of successful execution and delivery of DevOps solutions with about 5+ years in a DevOps role, 10+ Years’ development and implementation experience, 3-5 Years’ design and implementation of continuous delivery and/or DevOps solutions or architecture patterns, Jenkins, SVN, Git, Ansible, Artifactory, ServiceNow, Sonar, Selenium, Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash and knowledge of InvestOne, Decalog, and Bloomberg AIM.
- Lead and line manage a team of Software Developers / Engineers and support them in building effective, robust solutions that are fit for purpose.
- Optimise resource allocation for meeting sprint goals.
- Support the overall architectural principles and capabilities and align the implementation of the systems accordingly.
- Manage concessions and deviations from the architecture and development principles.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices.
- Conduct research, tests, and execute new techniques which could be reused and applied to the Software Development projects.
- Strive to ensure that processes and appropriate levels of knowledge sharing occurs within and between teams.
- Instigate cross-team ideas and initiatives, in alignment with the CoEs.
- Provide feedback to stakeholders on vague or badly defined requirements.
- Ensure sprint impediments are removed timeously.
- Help PO and PM identify dependencies.
- Drive and facilitate smooth delivery within the team and across dependencies, within budget and time.
- Become and be the domain knowledge expert and the domain architect.
- Hold accountability for the delivery of solutions including quality, technical approach, release management and maturity, and ensure alignment with development principles.
- Monitor performance of all systems to determine cost and productivity levels and make recommendations for improving the infrastructure.
- Help define the DevOps strategy, architecture, and processes to meet business needs and ensure successful deployment of software in the work environment.
- Provision and maintain appropriate asset catalogues and repositories.
- Ensure configuration databases and repositories are up to date.
- Monitor and raise issues of technical debt and provide solutions to them.
- Define, document, and communicate post go-live support requirements.
- Maintain existing solutions and troubleshoot.
- Ensure effective time management to find the balance between development and managing the team.
- Contribute towards maintaining a rewarding team culture.
- Assist with resourcing decisions and maintain the team-skills-capabilities-systems matrix.
- Involvement in the recruitment, induction, development, and retention of talent.
- Manage team growth and consider the blend/level of skills required within team to meet the delivery goals.
- Coach and mentor team members or delegate appropriately.
- Review project progress, the performance of all individuals on the team and the backlog.
- Facilitate technology and methodology decision-making throughout team, including standardization of systems architecture, reusable code, versions of software tools, best practices, source control and deployment processes.
- Communicate on behalf of team members with stakeholders where required.
- Ensure the team are integrating other teams’ services efficiently and that they are offering technical input into how all services can be delivered and improved.
- Ensure team progress toward goals and not just task completion.
- Implement and ensure the effective maintenance of governance processes.
- Work closely with Product teams and business representatives, in an Agile environment, to implement effective solutions to stated needs, requirements and user stories.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems or Computer Science fields.
- Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert.
- 10+ Years’ development and implementation experience.
- 5+ Years’ experience in a technology supervisory role preferably in a DevOps role leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- 3-5 Years’ –
- As a DevOps Engineer managing application development, software delivery lifecycle, and/or infrastructure development and administration.
- Design and implementation of continuous delivery and/or DevOps solutions or architecture patterns.
- Code repository management, code merge and quality checks, continuous integration, and automated deployment & management using tools like Jenkins, SVN, Git, Ansible, Artifactory, ServiceNow, Sonar, Selenium.
- Automation scripting using one or more of the following languages: Perl, Ruby, Bash, or Python.
- Approaches and tooling for automated build, delivery, and release of software.
- Working in an Agile delivery environment.
- Project or Program Management.
- Defining and managing the roadmap for implementation of DevOps in an established operation.
- Working within a structured environment, including the use of structured methods and approaches and modern development tools.
- Proven ability to meet service level requirements and deadlines.
- Proven experience with the Agile project methodology.
- Experience of technical architecture – i.e., the design and delivery of IT systems for a broad range of clients.
- Service support – the use of DevOps, Continuous Delivery and ITIL concepts to lead an effective support operation.
- Knowledge of Portfolio and Trade Management Systems a distinct advantage, and in particular, InvestOne, Decalog, and Bloomberg AIM.
- The use of public/private cloud and virtualization technologies.
- Natural leadership ability with strong collaboration skills.
- Able to communicate with senior stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage your time appropriately and to be able to multitask multiple projects.