Data Science Manager
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Johannesburg – Gauteng
Architect & build data-driven solutions as the next Data Science Manager sought by a niche Analytics Consultancy. You will also be expected to compile project plans, write Data Science related marketing material, and contribute to research and development in the areas of cutting-edge Deep Learning/AI. The successful incumbent must have a BSc in a quantitative field with strong academic performance (Engineering, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.), 6-10 years’ experience in a similar role with practical experience in Advanced Machine Learning techniques and working with Big Data and proficiency in Python, SQL & Git.
- Ability to understand business goals and translate them into Machine Learning use cases and model design.
- Architect and build solutions for client problems and implement client-led strategies into business. This includes, but is not limited to, incorporating feature engineering, data engineering, BI, dashboarding and the building of supervised and unsupervised Machine Learning models.
- Document the work done, explaining all processes and interpretation of model results and model validation.
- Work closely with clients throughout various project phases and establish strong client relationships.
- Effectively communicate with different client audiences, and the ability to translate complex information and model results into non-technical, easy to grasp language.
- Work both independently and collaboratively, within the internal team and with client teams too.
- Lead the development of the Data Scientist team and foster an innovative and inclusive team culture.
- Attend sales and marketing meetings for potential projects.
- Compile project plans and ensure your team is staying on track.
- Occasionally write data science related marketing material.
- Contribute to internal research and development efforts in cutting-edge areas including Deep Learning/AI.
- Minimum: BSc in a quantitative field with strong academic performance (Engineering, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.).
- Ideal: Honours or Masters in a quantitative field.
- Bonus: Qualified Actuary (no remaining exams to complete).
- 6-10 -Years’ experience in a Data Science environment / role.
- Practical experience with Advanced Machine Learning techniques and working with Big Data.
- Experience managing at least 1 employee (Analyst, Junior Data Scientist, etc.)
- Minimum: Python, SQL, Git.
- Consulting experience would be advantageous.
- Experience in Financial Services industry is a plus, but not required.
- Ideal: HTML, Cloud (IBM, AWS, Azure, GCP), Containers (Docker, Kubernetes etc.).
- Bonus: SAS, R, Scala, PySpark, Scala, Java, C, Python Dash, R Shiny, Streamlit.
- Excellent business, communication and presentation skills.