Data Modeller (JHB)
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Johannesburg – Gauteng
JOIN the Global Markets division of a renowned Financial Services Group seeking your expertise as a customer-centric & self-driven Data Modeller. The role will require an understanding of Global Markets business and data usage for business enablement and the successful candidate must be strong in creating data models, understanding data patterns, and presenting data models and architectures to governance and management committees. You must possess a Degree in Computer Science / Information Systems, have 2-3 years’ Data Modelling experience, 3-5 years related experience including engaging with stakeholders and managing expectations & in-depth knowledge of: T-SQL, Python; Erwin or other modelling tools & Global Markets Domain (Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange, Money Market, Commodities). You must be comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and enjoying working with data sets.
Keep up to date with Platform Reference Architecture –
- Build relationships with data owners within the organisation who provide information.
- Need to keep up to date with new data assets and products to identify new opportunities, capabilities and trends that would add value to business.
- Provide inputs to the EDM by collaborating with other modelers across group areas.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and recommend new practices.
Data Modelling –
- Understand and translate business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
- Model data required for both enterprise and business use.
- Engage with the relevant Data team to ensure that data models built adhere to the modelling standards.
- Create data models for analytics and reporting projects.
- Ensure models are approved by relevant bodies by presenting them to different governance bodies.
- Propose and present data models to Project teams and business stakeholders.
- Maintain the data dictionary internal and external to the data model.
- Maintain the business glossary internal and external to the data model.
- Represents Markets area at the Data Modelling Design Authority (DMDA).
- Involved in the entire Data Modelling lifecycle i.e., Logical to Implemented Physical Model.
- Understanding of the reference and master data requirements and the co-ordination around the use of surrogate keys and enterprise code values when building out data products.
Data Management –
- Identity and apply the right modelling principles for different datasets when modelling (Sensitive Data, Reference Data, Master Data, Personal Information).
- Ensure data models are kept updated to reflect the most recent setting.
- Catalogue data models and ensure the correct model ownership.
- Knowledge of data management policies and principles (PCI, PoPI, Data Privacy, BCBS239).
- Optimize and update logical and physical data models to support new and existing projects.
- Validate business data objects for accuracy and completeness.
- Degree in Computer Science / Information Systems.
- 2 -3 Data Modelling experience.
- 3-5 Years related experience.
- Engaging with stakeholders and managing expectations.
- In-depth knowledge of:
- Programming languages (T-SQL, Python).
- Erwin or other modelling tools.
- Global Markets Domain (Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange, Money Market, Commodities).
Analytical Thinking – Ability to be systematic and rule orientated in gathering, reviewing and evaluating data from a variety of perspectives; includes the ability to work with precision and highlight inconsistencies and inaccuracies in detailed information
Conceptual & Big Picture Thinking – The ability to integrate information from a variety of sources through logical reasoning and judgement, process complexity and predict scenarios for future success.
Drive and Results Orientation – Is a self-starter who produces consistently high-quality outputs within agreed deadlines. Prompt and proactive in driving for results and sets challenging goals for self and others.
Flexibility – Adapts to change and new ideas, and embrace new modelling concepts
Building Relationships – In the business of being human, builds sound relationships based on trust and openness.
Customer Focus – Anticipates, recognises, and meets the needs of internal and external customers, taking responsibility for maintaining the highest service standards and sustaining value by building customer relationships, retaining existing customers, and developing new opportunities.
Teamwork – Recognises interdependencies and collaborates with others to achieve shared goals.
Verbal & Written communication – The capacity to listen attentively, present information clearly and concisely and respond appropriately to the verbal and written communication of others. This includes the ability to regulate delivery in response to the needs of a target audience.
Developing People – Actively identifies potential and mentor talent in line with organisational objectives. Creates a climate that fosters people’s professional and personal development.