Data Engineer (Python & SQL) (CPT Hybrid)
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Cape Town – Western Cape
BE responsible for the Investment team database architecture, data flow and data processes as the next Data Engineer sought by a fast-paced Investment Firm based in Tokai. This will include efficiently receiving, transferring, processing, analysing, and integrating 3rd party systems for investment research and business operational processes. You will require a Postgrad Degree in Computer Science/IS/Maths/Stats or similar field, have strong Python and SQL with at least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role including solid experience managing and analysing large amounts of data. You must also have experience with version control and database solutions including Git & Linux. The person will need to enjoy and follow a collaborative team approach.
Data Engineering –
- Design and develop scalable data pipelines and ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to collect, process, and integrate data from various sources into a centralized data warehouse or data lake.
- Implement data models, schemas, and database structures to organize and optimize data storage for efficient data retrieval, writing and analysis.
- Collaborate with Quantitative and Analysts to understand their data requirements and provide them with the necessary infrastructure and tools for data exploration, analysis, and visualization.
- Ensure data quality and consistency by implementing data validation, cleaning, and transformation procedures.
- Monitor and maintain the performance, availability, and security of data systems, including database servers, data warehouses, and data processing frameworks.
- Troubleshoot and resolve data-related issues and performance bottlenecks in collaboration with the Investment teams.
- Evaluate and integrate new data technologies, tools, and frameworks to improve data infrastructure and processing capabilities.
- Document data pipelines, workflows, and technical specifications to facilitate knowledge sharing and maintain system.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in the field of Data Engineering.
- Assist and collaborate on team wide projects.
- Contribute to the analytics platform to know what is required from a Data Engineering perspective.
- Assist and investigate ad-hoc data related queries.
- University Post Graduate Degree (Computer Science/Information Systems/Maths/Stats/Business Science/Actuarial).
- Up to 3 years’ experience with a specific focus in database management, data analysis and have produced ETL processes at scale are essential.
- Strong programming skills in Python and SQL.
- Basic understanding of financial instruments and markets.
- Linux server administration.
- Git version control.
- Outstanding organization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills oral and written.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, driven and results oriented.
- Ability to listen and respond to new ideas, input and diverse perspectives.
- High levels of self-confidence, assertive as well as healthy levels of EQ.
- Energetic problem-solver.
- Structured work style, attention to detail and accuracy is of the utmost importance.