Data Associate (CPT/JHB Hybrid)
IT – Analyst, Data Management
Johannesburg – Gauteng ~ Stellenbosh – Western Cape
Help build out data pipelines at the Data team (data acquisition, wrangling and structuring capabilities) –
- Investigate web scraping techniques to scrape data sources to be used for the platform.
- Identify data sources that could be leveraged to determine the impact of external factors on grower/buyer strategies as mentioned above.
- Distil market factors into articles to be used by growers which will inform their strategies.
Unlock insights for users through report/dashboard specification, design and development –
- In the short term, focus on using SQL Metabase) and long-term using front-end technologies to embed our user reporting capabilities natively into the application.
- Work closely with key clients (or client strategy partners) to understand their pain points, synthesize their data accurately, from a data management and reporting perspective.
- Determine functional requirements to develop platform features to meet client needs.
- Develop mock-up designs using wireframing tools like Figma (or other tools).
- Create/Define specifications for key product features by translating between stakeholders’ management team, Product Development team and clients – buyers and growers).
- Work closely with the product engineering team to roll out new features for the platform.
Be at the forefront of innovation in the AgriTech space –
- Develop a sound understanding of the data value chain to highlight areas for improvement (data → information → knowledge → actionable insights).
- Use business domain knowledge (Agriculture, Logistics, Economics) to develop strategies for our clients which will translate into optimal returns, e.g., pricing mechanisms, packing planning, logistics optimization.
- Understand the impact of macroeconomic effects (e.g., Economic policy changes in foreign countries), market prices (as measured in indices on stock exchanges or retail prices) or logistics operations on the supply chain for clients.
- Distil insights into key reports, automating manual processes through scripting tools and features (using scripting languages like Python).
- Preferably a Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Business Administration (BBA) or Information Systems.
- Intermediate to Advanced Level of data skills (e.g., Data Wrangling, Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), experiment design, SQL.
- Interested in Data Science projects by leveraging Python scripts (not a key requirement).
- BI Development
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Data Wrangling
- Design Thinking
- Front-end Development
- UI/UX Design
- Excellent problem solving and organizational ability.
- Ambitious, self-starter that can work independently while striving for Excellence.
- Proven ability to be part of a team and collaborate across departments and locations.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence credibly and effectively at all levels.
- Ability to work under pressure.