Data Architect & Team Lead
IT – Analyst, Data Management ~ IT – Infrastructure
Cape Town – Western Cape
SERVE as a data expert who is able to confidently move from architectural definition and technical guidance to hands-on implementation and troubleshooting as the next Data Architect & Team Lead sought by a dynamic Fund Management Firm. Your core role will be to design, implement & future-proof data solutions. You must possess a MSc/BSc Degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or suitable discipline & be Azure Data Engineer Certified. You must have 10+-year track record building and running large scale systems, 5+ years’ experience in a Tech Lead role where you led teams that design, architect & implement complex data-centric systems, 5 years’ experience with technology development and delivery, with a particular focus on on-premise, cloud and/or hybrid data platforms and experience using services and components such as ADF, Synapse, Databricks, Compute, containers, integration, storage, web and DevOps. You must also be proficient in Azure, MySQL, MS SQL, UML, BPM, Sparx, Lucid or Visio.
- Design, implement and future-proof data solutions to provide and guarantee accurate, consistent, timeous data to meet the business needs.
- Provide architecture artefacts in accordance with business and project requirements.
- Conceptualize on-premise, cloud components, security, networking and monitoring solutions to meet the data needs.
- Provide plans to migrate existing complex on-premises data solutions to cloud platforms when applicable.
- Identify and lead cross-functional team members, partner with your peers in the organisation and connect business objectives with technical vision.
- Lead, manage and grow a team of Data Specialists viz. Analysts, Modelers, Engineers.
- Assist to hire and mentor Engineers and build a high-performing team.
- Work on Project Management tasks associated with allocating resources and identifying risk items.
- Plan to explore and grow new technology in support of future organisational direction.
- Participate in the evolution and direction of the company’s data strategy.
- Champion the adoption of industry best practices to push the development standards.
- Provide thought leadership, knowledge-sharing and advisory services.
- MSc/BSc Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- Microsoft-Certified Azure Data Engineer Associate.
- 10+ Years’ track record building and running large scale systems professionally.
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in a technical leadership role, leading teams that design, architect and implement complex data-centric systems.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with technology development and delivery, with particular focus on on-premise, cloud and/or hybrid data platforms.
- Experience using services and components such as ADF, Synapse, Databricks, Compute, containers, integration, storage, web and DevOps.
- Possess a deep understanding of database systems (e.g., MySQL, MS SQL, non-relational DBs) including modelling, design, scalability, performance and high-availability, clustering.
- Proficient in UML, BPM, and the use of Architecture Design tools e.g., Sparx or similar experience using tools such as Lucid or Visio.
- Experience in communicating with and presenting to senior stakeholders.
- Microsoft Azure.
- Other cloud storage platforms and services.
- Data analytics, business intelligence and reporting.
- Data ingestion and management processes.
- Understanding of security by design and principles for general security of applications, integration, networking and storage.
Ideal experience –
- Background in designing high availability, highly performant data solutions.
- Experience in improving performance and reliability of complex systems.
- Knowledge of the Asset Management industry.
- Comfortable leading and working with diverse and multi-disciplined teams.
- A bias for action in the face of ambiguity.
- Self-driven and comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-performance environment.
- Team player, who is adaptable and forward-thinking.
- Ability to accept constructive and critical feedback, adapt and produce the necessary outputs that are in the best interest of the organisation.
- Able to provide constructive feedback and produce career growth and development goals in line with the needs of the organisation.
- Superb problem-solving ability, with a knack for technical innovation.
- Ability to communicate with business and technical audiences and produce collateral suitable for multiple audience types, both client-facing and internal.
- Problem solving and analytical thinking.
- Perform under pressure in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to pivot should the strategic direction change.
- A people leader who leads by technical example and has good management skills.