1st Line Support Engineer (Cape Town Only)
IT – Support
Cape Town – Western Cape
A strong technical & ambitious 1st Line Support Engineer is sought by a dynamic Internet Service & Network Specialist to join its team. Your core role will be to provide a single point of contact for customers to obtain support, be this via a customer dedicated service desk or the shared service desks. You will receive and respond to incidents and service requests from the customer / customer end users while assessing the request or incident to determine whether fulfilment / resolution can be achieved first-line and actions where first-line support is possible. The Engineer escalates to 2nd or 3rd Line Support within defined parameters. The First-Line Engineer is the incident owner and manages the end-to-end lifecycle of the ticket until resolution. You will need Matric/Grade 12, A+ and N+ / MCSE. A tertiary IT qualification & at least 1 + years’ experience in a First-Line support environment with a proven technical ability to perform first-line support to end users within the current IT landscape.
- Professionally respond to and resolve / fulfil all incidents and service requests logged or managed through 2nd and 3rd Line Support tiers.
- Remain courteous, tactful, honest and professional in all communication with other parties.
- Regularly update all customers with progress-information and estimated times to completion.
- Regularly follow-up on outstanding queries with other entities who are involved with specific requests.
- Adhere to and comply with all commitments made.
- Remain calm and collected in adverse situations.
- Be alert to deteriorating customer-service within the environment and intervene directly or by escalation.
- Process support- or information-requests from various sources (phone, email, logging-system integration, etc.) for the purpose of providing resolution to the customer in respect of incidents and service requests logged.
- Telephonically and remotely identify, diagnose and resolve / fulfil all incidents / requests to the best of his / her capability.
- Escalate to other support-entities (colleagues, 2nd and 3rd Tier Support, other service providers) where personal resolution is unachievable.
- Monitor time spent on remote incident / request-resolution to ensure resolutions (own or other entity) are achieved within contractual service-level obligations.
- Retain ownership of support-call and diligently manage to resolution.
- Verify whether current requests are repeat requests. If necessary, apply different solutions and/or escalate to other support-entities to ensure that further repeats are minimised or eliminated. Ensure that a Problem Ticket is logged in the event of repeated incidents and attached all related incidents to the Problem ticket.
- Recognise and alert the team leader or Manager of trends in customer calls.
- Perform research and continued effort towards education for the purpose of improving knowledge- and experience-levels in the products/systems supported by the company.
- Before creating a new incident, support- or information-request record verify that the same request is not captured already.
- Create the initial record for and accurately capture any reported incident, service request- or information-request in the call-logging system.
- Ensure that all auxiliary fields in the call-logging system are completed accurately and updated as further information becomes available (e.g., call-source, contact-details, CI-selection, call-categories, severities, etc.).
- Accurately capture all information pertaining to resolution-attempts in the journals/activity history.
- Escalate observations where the call-logging system is incorrect or incomplete in order to further improve accuracy of records.
- Matric or Grade 12.
- A+ and N+ / MCSE.
- Tertiary IT qualification.
- At least 1 + years’ experience in a First-Line support environment.
- Good understanding of the Information Technology industry.
- Proven technical ability to perform first-line support to end users within the current IT landscape.
- Ability to identify and understand problems and find suitable solutions.
- Conscious of delivering solutions on time.
- Able to clearly articulate problems and solutions with the technical team on escalation.